1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will they start laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckPan, Nov 9, 2014.

1. DuckPan

DuckPan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Oklahoma Yee Hah
    I hatched 30 khaki Campbell's, on August 5th can anyone tell me when they will start laying and brooding?

2. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    They may not start laying until early 2015 (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere), unless you provide artificial light in their coop at night. Short days and cold weather can put a hold on laying. My Khakis take a hiatus from laying from about Nov to Feb here in Chicago, but I don't have added light in their coop.

My Khakis aren't good at brooding, the instinct has been bred out of them. You may have to hatch in an incubator or hatch under a broody hen. Don't try to hatch the first eggs they lay, you'll be disappointed with the hatch rate. Wait until April or so when the eggs are regular with good shells and your ducks have been laying for a month or so to hatch the eggs. You'll get a better hatch rate.

Good luck. Khakis are great ducks. Lots of personality, great foragers, eggceptional layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by