When will they start to lay and fertility question.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lswatson111304, Nov 6, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    after moving to a new home? The 2 new quail DH brought home..assuming they are already mature which they seem the same size as the one I have that just started to lay. I am just wondering. I'm sure the move here was a bit stressful. New home, and overbearing human mama. LOL They both have been in with a male and one is missing feathers and looks bred, so I'm hoping that the first eggs are fertile...just wondering when to expect it, and if it takes too long will the chance of it being fertile be decreased? And like...another strange question..will only the first egg be fertile? Or will a few?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Usually the first egg isn't fertile, but you can incubate eggs after the first one. I start incubating eggs after the hens have been laying for a week.

3. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    well, I'm assuming the 2 new quail were already laying and had been in with males...so I was hoping that they will be..but if not, I have no chance because right now I have no male..I should..but someone sold DH 2 females instead of 1 male and 1 female! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by