When will they stop being broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlittle1980, May 27, 2010.

1. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    I have a girl sitting on 3 egss right now if they are going to hatch it will be the start of next week. I have not candled them or anything I have just let her be

If they dont hatch and I take them away will she still continue to be broody? If so what can I do to break it?

It has crossed my mind to go to the feed store and get her 2 babies to raise.....

2. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

I have several game hens that are constantly broody. I have set up a pen in the chicken yard with no nest boxes or anything that could be mistaken for one. I usually put them in there for a few days, this works for me.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I wouldn't worry about it unless they don't hatch. If all else fails the feed store chicks are a good idea. I've grafted day olds onto a broody hen with good results. It doesn't always work though so if you go that route make sure you have a brooder ready for the chicks if the broody hen rejects them. I don't candle the eggs under my broody hens either, they seem to know which ones are bad and push them out of the nest.

4. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    I candeled them tonight and i swear there where shadows in all 3!

5. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    If you candle & the chicks are alive, there will be veins going into the air cell. Most hens know their chicks by their peep & will kill other chicks. To brake a broody, put her in an empty wire cage. Hang it off the ground for 2 days with out food & limited water. The old timers will say no water either, but it's far to hot for that. Good luck.

6. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    I am just going to let her sit on them and see what happens......

7. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:This works very well, BUT--You should give both food and water, just no nesting material. Denying food does nothing to help break the broody, you just want cool air to flow under her and to keep her away from anything that she could use as a nest if you decide to break her if her eggs don't hatch.

Congrats on all the little shadows, hope you have fuzzy butts soon!! [​IMG]

8. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    how long is too long to let it go on ...... I was wrong hatch date is June the 7th...... I guess I am ready to see if something happens

9. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I'd check on things if you don't have chicks 2-3 days after the hatch date. Mine are usually a day or two early, both in the bator and under broody hens, [​IMG] but it's not uncommon to be a few days late. I really think you're stressing yourself out prematurely though, chances are you'll have some chicks in another week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by