When will we have 1 flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Studio2770, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    We do have 1 flock of chickens, but they're divided. We have 5 leghorns that we had first then we got 3 chicks. We gave 1 away because it was a boy. They're all the same size and little to no conflict. When will they stick together though? The younger ones stay clear. Will they be "one" when the younger ones mature(one is a 18 week EE and a 19 week cochin)?

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    There's no magical time limit on when chickens decide they like each other, but in my experience, they should be bossom buddies by spring. We add new chicks every year, and so far, every batch (and every individual within that batch) has been different. Most of our chicks from this spring have already integrated fully with the flock, but we still have a stubborn pair--Sugar and Spice, my "clearance chickens"--who remain content with each others' company and have nothing to do with the rest of the flock if they can help it. Meanwhile, the chicks we purchased this fall are barely feathered out and are already trying to hang out with the "big kids", though they usually end up running off to do their own thing together instead.

I think it's also important to remember that just because they're one big flock doesn't mean they'll necessarily want to be glued to each other's sides all the time. The biggest determining factor is whether or not they are all choosing to roost together. If they will let a chicken roost with them, then they're already part of the flock.

3. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    Interesting. The older ones are on the highest roost while the younger ones are on the lowest; because the cochin is reluctant to get on the higher ones so the EE sticks with her.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Well if they aren't "being mean" to each other then I think you should be thankful it's going well! They will take their time, no real way to know how long it'll take. I'm thankful my original flock is all healthy so I haven't felt the need to add more, not sure I want to deal with it!

5. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    They are always separate and often really far apart. I am glad there's no real scuffles. I REALLY hope our flock doesn't get smaller seeing how our first predator tried to swoop in on our 2 younger ones.[​IMG] Even if we were able to keep our cockerel he would have been useless because he runs away from the older, but smaller, chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by