When will you let the hen sit on eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AhBee01, Feb 24, 2008.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I live in Ohio, and seems 2 of my hens are starting to act broody, when would you let them stay on their eggs?
    It is still cold here, I don't want to bring the hens and their babies in, but want the hens to brood the chicks!
    I could set up a coop for just the hens and babies, but was wondering what other folks do?
    Thanks,
    Brenda

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Through the winter I bring the broody and eggs inside to hatch & brood.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have chicks hatching today under a broody. We keep the coop heated and i put the hen and her eggs into a cage so the chicks wont wonder away from the heat. They are on time with today being day 21. So i think you just need to take special care to protect them. I lowered the heat lamp and made sure there are no drafts.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I let my broody hatch out a chick when night temps were in the mid 30's and day was in the 40's. I only let her have one chick though as it would make her work in the miserable weather easier.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] They have you SO well trained! [​IMG]

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    He is a big teddy bear disguised as a pit bull [​IMG]

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That's a good plan silkie, but I think 2 or 3 would still be easy and twice or three times the fun!

bigzio

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Two or three are probably fine and probably better than just one! She lost all her other eggs. [​IMG]

Just no 10-16 chick bunches in the dead of winter. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by