OK, we are BRAND new to chickens. Plus we are having to have them in our neighborhood as 'inconspicuously' as possible.... We only got 3 to keep it manageable but wanted a little variety in color, so, in July we got a Black Copper Maran, an EE (blue layer) and an Olive egger. Well, the OE started crowing this morning. That one was officially my wife's and she doesn't know yet so she won't be happy as though these are primarily for egg laying, raising them from chicks, they certainly have acquired a pet factor. In any case, the little hobby breeder guarantees them and will take the roo but now cold is setting in (20's the next coulple of nights for example) and my options are: 1) A new chick, which for us would require brooding a single loan chick in the house until it's ready to be put outside with the other 2. I'm worried about how that eventual introduction would go and the hassle of having to deal with a brooder inside again for an extended period especially during the holidays. 2) She has another EE that is a pink layer (supposedly just over a year old) that is 'coming out of molt' and is apparently OK to be outside 3) Wait until spring to add a new addition (chick or older). What say ye?