1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When you share eggs...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickaChickaBoomBoom, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ChickaChickaBoomBoom

ChickaChickaBoomBoom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    You never know what could happen.

We have our two pullets living on the side of our house in a run/coop combo, but with a lot of free-ranging when we're home. I am out there every day, spreading DE, cleaning up poop as needed (hint: don't kick the "rock", because it makes a mess), etc.

My biggest concern, though, has been my next door neighbor, whose house is only about 20 feet or so from the end of our run. My hens are very vocal, particularly when one is laying and the other is making a scene. I've been concerned that someone might complain, but so far I've been managing it ok.

The neighbors closest to us are from Russia and language is a barrier, so I have seldom spoken with the parents, but their kids play with ours, and speak good English. So the other day, to be "neighborly" (read: bribe), I gave them 9 eggs that we had collected. The mom said "Thank you" and that was that - I didn't know how to say "So, what are your feelings about us having chickens?". I figured they'd make their kids stay away from us if they didn't like the hens.

The next day, I asked the son if they had tried an egg, and he said "They were SOOO GOOOD!". Great. Then he said "My dad wants to get chickens." Wow. That really surprised me. I guess they were SOME EGGS! Nonetheless, I didn't give it much thought, even though is younger brother said the same thing later. Hmmm...

I gave them the eggs on Sunday, and the boys made these comments on Monday. Last night (Tuesday), I got home after dark and I could see a big "box" in the neighbors garage. Hmmm...

This morning I was in my bedroom, which is on the second floor and overlooks the coop/run area. I looked out the window and there was the mom and three of the kids, all sitting on/staring over our fence, looking at the chickens. Hmmm...

Later today, the kids said that their dad had built a coop and that they were getting chickens! Ok, so it took me like three months to build my coop and run, but whatever. :)

Now, I am concerned a little about the what-ifs. What-if they get 10 chickens? What-if they get a roo? What-if they are even noisier than mine? What-if someone who has tolerated mine now decide to complain? However, it really does take a load off my mind for when the hens start making a fuss outside. And hey, I feel like I recruited a new backyard flock to the area!

I guess my point is, for better or worse, when you share eggs, be ready - you never know what the outcome will be!

-Dave:)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

haha... wait until they search Google for coop designs or chickens, click the top links to come here and read your post about them! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Wow, that is FAST coop building! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChickaChickaBoomBoom

May 4, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Quote:Fortunately the language barrier will help protect me!

-Dave

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    You did say the kids spoke English? I can only assume they go to school here and can read ??? LOL I am sure the kids read stuff to their parents. Wouldn't you in their place? LOL Shhh don't let them know your BYC name. [​IMG]

6. ChickaChickaBoomBoom

May 4, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Quote:Good point! [​IMG]

-Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by