when you think typical white bird... what do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kristip, Dec 5, 2010.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    I just recently "exchanged" my rooster for some new birds from the farm down the road. One of them is a nice looking all white bird. Looks very "typical" chicken shape- little on the heavy side of normal. Looks to have tan ears.
    I cant take my camera out in this extreme cold otherwise I would have pictures today. We will see if we can get some tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

2. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I would think cornish cross, but they are THE chicken around here. Broiler houses exist in the hundreds in this area....

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I would guess white rock, if it is heavier. Pics are needed.

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:X 2

5. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    a "little" heavy wouldnt be a cornish cross... does it appear asthmatic, is huge, and waddles when it runs? if so then its probably a cornish cross, if not, more than likely a white rock... or rhode island white perhaps, though they're not as common as white rock.

6. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Ok here are some pictures.
    The first picture is my white bird. I guess it is more of a red ear. Looked tan last night. So my guess would be white rock or rhode island white...???

The second pic is my other new bird. It is young- between 12-20 weeks, is it another red star? I will post my older red star which is more red, where this bird is more pale or tan colored. Any help is appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I would say? white rock and definitely sexlink of some kind. Maybe a Comet. The comets lay great but can pick a bit on other birds at times. I have had two of them for several years and they lay almost everyday still, hugh brown eggs. Good luck with your new hens. [​IMG] Gloria Jean

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    From the picture I would say a (hatchery type) Leghorn or a Leghorn Cross. [due to the White Earlobes]

She isn't a White Rock or a Rhode Island White [ Rhode Island White's only come Rose Comb ].

Chris

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Agreed and agreed.

10. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    agree w. chris... she is a white leghorn--- and a hefty one at that!!! ;-) NICE birds!
    she will lay white eggs for ya!
    what a beauty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by