when you think typical white bird... what do you think?

kristip

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2010
New Glarus
I just recently "exchanged" my rooster for some new birds from the farm down the road. One of them is a nice looking all white bird. Looks very "typical" chicken shape- little on the heavy side of normal. Looks to have tan ears.
I cant take my camera out in this extreme cold otherwise I would have pictures today. We will see if we can get some tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

a "little" heavy wouldnt be a cornish cross... does it appear asthmatic, is huge, and waddles when it runs? if so then its probably a cornish cross, if not, more than likely a white rock... or rhode island white perhaps, though they're not as common as white rock.

Ok here are some pictures.
The first picture is my white bird. I guess it is more of a red ear. Looked tan last night. So my guess would be white rock or rhode island white...???

The second pic is my other new bird. It is young- between 12-20 weeks, is it another red star? I will post my older red star which is more red, where this bird is more pale or tan colored. Any help is appreciated.

64297_img_3750.jpg

64297_img_3746.jpg

64297_img_3697.jpg

I would say? white rock and definitely sexlink of some kind. Maybe a Comet. The comets lay great but can pick a bit on other birds at times. I have had two of them for several years and they lay almost everyday still, hugh brown eggs. Good luck with your new hens.
frow.gif
Gloria Jean

From the picture I would say a (hatchery type) Leghorn or a Leghorn Cross. [due to the White Earlobes]

She isn't a White Rock or a Rhode Island White [ Rhode Island White's only come Rose Comb ].

Chris

Last edited:
agree w. chris... she is a white leghorn--- and a hefty one at that!!! ;-) NICE birds!
she will lay white eggs for ya!
what a beauty!

Back
Top Bottom