When you trade....

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    or sell or buy or anything, when You have to ship off your fowl, which do you do?

I have a female buff duck who is a lay a holic. Ive been asked a couple of times if I would be interested in selling my eggs.

Here is the thing, I seem to always end up with males ( I do rescues and such) and I only have 1 female and 3 males. So I need more females.

Id love to swap eggs, but im not sure what all that entails as far as packing and shipping. Could someone explain that to me?

Also, I think Id rather hatch the ducklings myself , and wait till I know for sure whether they are male or female and then trade, buy , sell , etc. But then they would be adult ducks. Of course they would be friendly and handleable.

But then I have the option of what I do now, which is let my mama hatch them and then raise them in the house with daily visits out side to mom, wait till they are 3 - 4 weeks and then they go to live outside. But instead I would post about buy, sell, trade, once they were born.

So, what is easier to do?
    Buy, Sell, Trade:
    Eggs
    Ducklings
    Ducks

And what all does it entail as far as how to ship them?

Id appreciate all the help I can get since I am very interested in doing this in the future, thanks!

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    It is easiest to ship eggs. if you want more females, i would hatch them and just sell the eggs. Shipping adult birds is dnagerous. to many birds get lost. This is a great way to ship eggs, and the site is a BYCers! http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/7939567 I strongly suggest only shipping eggs. I would hatch a clutch of chicks keep the females, then when they start laying, trade the eggs.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My opinion, it would be cheaper to start off with ducklings. Metzer farms sells sexed ducklings, and their minimum is 2. You have to pay extra for heat packs in there, or you can buy the regular 8 minimum and sell the rest. At least that way you know you have females. If you are wanting a certain sex, eggs are too unpredictable. You could have a situation like mine, and order 20 eggs, hatch two, and find out they are both males. I'm back at square one! [​IMG] You might be able to get some people in your area to go in on the order with you, so you don't have to pay for the whole thing. I'm doing that with 2 other BYCer's in my area this spring, on goslings from metzer.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    When the ducklings hatch... ugh, i really dont like violating babies... but what am I looking for to tell the difference in sex? I know how to do it with adult ducks and thats hard enough

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by