When you were sold chickens and they are sick 2 wks later.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by didee, Nov 30, 2011.

1. didee

didee New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    I am a new member from Mass. We swapped one white silkie for 2 buff orpingtons. We have kept them separate for about 2 weeks now before we introduced them to the 2 RI Reds we have. Everyone got a long fine. Next day noticed the two Orps have symptoms of a respriatory infection. shakey head, nostiles clogged, eye foamy, gurgle sounds, not eating or drinking etc. Immediately removed and separated both Orps again. Started Tetriclyine and Vet RX. Now I am concerned we cannot ever put them back in coop with Reds or eat their eggs. Not sure what the outcome will be. Is it right to go back to previous owner to ask for 2 healthy birds?

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you would be better off asking to return them and bring nothing back from thier farm, most likely others could be sick or could be carriers, not worth the risk.

3. didee

didee New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    That sounds like a good idea. It is too bad, as the white silkie cost us $15 and each Orp was $8 so we did a swap at the Poultry Show. Now we are out 2 birds :-( and $15.00.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Actually, most illnesses take no more than a few days to show up, so it may be that your reds have something dormant and gave it to the new birds. It's really hard to know which direction the exchange went.

Hope all goes well for you- talk to the breeder and ask them if they've ever seen anything in their flock.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Zoos quarantine for at least 90 days, so it certainly is possible that the birds you bought were ill when you got them. Sometimes the stress of moving to a new location can allow a latent illness to develop symptoms.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sounds more like your original hens were sick and the new ones picked it up. The older ones can be symptom free and still pass it on.

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:X2

8. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    A few months ago I got a SLW hen from a local guy who bragged about his NPIP certification and all that. Got her home and put her in a separation pen only to notice she wouldn't eat and moved her head from side to side in a strange way. Bottom line, she had an impacted crop and a call to the seller the next day left us perplexed since he said he had never even heard of an impacted crop. This from someone who has a fairly good sized poultry selling business. We should have just taken her back to his farm and left her with him - instead we ended up taking her to a vet. $200 later, she died in my arms while we were trying to giver her meds. It still makes me angry when I think about it.[​IMG]

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:This was my thought as well. I personally would not demand to return the birds, because it's hard to say where the infection came from. It's very likely that they picked up something on your property from carriers who were not expressing the disease.

Try to save the birds, it could be something easily fixed [​IMG]

10. didee

didee New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    Quote:This was my thought as well. I personally would not demand to return the birds, because it's hard to say where the infection came from. It's very likely that they picked up something on your property from carriers who were not expressing the disease.

Try to save the birds, it could be something easily fixed [​IMG]

We had a good conversation with a bird seller and she is agreeing with your thoughts too. Now a day later, we see one of our older Reds has a very swollen eye, closed shut. Just pulled her out to put in quarantine. Reading everyone's comments, these birds probably had stuff brewing and all decided to get sick at the same time.

Actually talked with a vet who has taken many classes/seminars as she feels this need with so many people asking questions. We have an appointment set up for a home visit next week :). I guess in the meantime we will just continue with the Tetracycline and Vet RX until then.

Was looking forward to getting the car back in the garage now that the temps are dropping in NE, oh well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by