when you worm can hens be reinfected by their droppings?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nittanyxi, Dec 1, 2011.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I'm worming my hens.

Is it possible for them to get reinfected from their droppings?

Do you need to disinfect the coop after you are done worming or does the medicine (Valbazen) kill both worms and eggs?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:When worms are excreted, with or without worming, the worms are dying or are dead. They cant survive outside their host. Untreated worms continually lay eggs to be deposited onto the soil for your other birds to pick up and infect them. Valbazen does not treat worm eggs that are picked up and swallowed, I dont know of any wormer that does. This is why a second worming should be done to wipe out larva hatched from eggs missed by the first dosing, eliminating the worms lifecycle. Then a regular worming schedule thereafter will keep them worm free. Ensure wormers are rotated. I always clean out my coop about 2-4 days after worming and use my sprayer with a bleachwater mixture in it. A fine mist sprayed inside will take care of most problems including lice/mites if they are there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by