When your chickens don't respect the poultrynet fence

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by whoisjohngalt, Nov 16, 2016.

1. whoisjohngalt

whoisjohngalt New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    My Coop
    We do rotational grazing and daily move coops within a poultrynet enclosure. We move the enclosure every couple weeks depending on where the cows have been. This year we have had more issues from predators (first it was hawks, then a nighttime owl). Our recent flock has taken to free-ranging by flying over the poultrynet during the day. We continue to have losses so I setup a new trail camera. Below is what we've captured on the camera.

1 person likes this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh my, that's terrible! Sorry for your loss and your frustration. [​IMG]

Is that netting electrified?

3. whoisjohngalt

whoisjohngalt New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    My Coop
    Yes- the netting is electrified--you can see the fox backs off it. But the chickens aren't touching the fence when they fly over :( And even if the birds touch the fence, if they aren't touching the ground they don't get a shock. We've lost four birds so far (we used to see 8 chickens ranging with that rooster in the video, now only three or four)

4. EggSighted4Life

I didn't know they had to be touching the ground to get a shock. So that means if I line my pasture with hot wire they could still land directly on top of my fence and not get shocked? And also it is good for keeping predators out but not chickens in.... [​IMG]

Have you considered clipping wings? Another thing I might consider is making the fence double high somehow. It is costly, but unfortunately that fox knows where his free meal is and will return until all are gone. A trusted free range dog is also good but I realize not always feasible.

I also would dispense of said predator with whatever means necessary, as he is a threat to your lively hood.

I don't know why chickens, goats, and dogs will work to get to the other side of the fence. Then when I let them they are trying to get back to the side they just came from. [​IMG]

Hopefully you will get more input. I haven't yet had to deal with persistent predators. But I would be hold up waiting for his arrival with my rifle, shotgun, or whatever was appropriate for the situation.

Thank a ton for sharing your experience. I will follow along to see your resolution, as this is a learning process for me as well.

Best wishes! [​IMG]

5. whoisjohngalt

whoisjohngalt New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    My Coop
    That is correct- you probably have seen birds on electric wires for years --same thing with chickens on poultrynet- unless they touch ground (or a ground wire) to complete the circuit, there is no shock. I will definitely setup a firing position in case I see the fox again--luckily with my trail camera I figured out the fox's arrival pattern (it looks like he comes between 4:40 and 5 every day).

Given that I've seen my chickens fly up onto an 8' perch, not sure I could fence high enough unless I enclose them. Would love to have a guard dog, but they are tough to contain without even more fencing...

6. MsChickenHerder

MsChickenHerder Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2016
    Northwest Ohio
    That's so sad, I'm so sorry. I was actually yelling at my phone while watching that video. Yes, I'm one of THOSE people. Hopefully you eradicate the problem. One A side not, that is a very pretty fox.

7. EggSighted4Life

ya, my chickens easily clear the roof as well. [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm sorry about your loss. [​IMG] That had to be so hard. I hope the net will work out better for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by