When your husband is a police officer...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Dec 20, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    And he comes home from work and you ask him how his day was? The last thing you want him to say is...well, there was this guy with a loaded AK-47.... [​IMG]

*Still shaking*

2. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    scary![​IMG]

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I was a police officer for 28 years and quickly learned there are just somethings you don't talk about at home. That's why there is often a close brotherhood with all of your Brothers & Sisters "In Law" ~ you can tell them things that other people just won't understand.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Uh yeah, I told him there are some things I'd rather not hear about. Of course the town he works in is so small, I'm gonna read about it in the paper anyhow. [​IMG]

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I guess that it's better you should hear it from your husband . . .

[​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:This is true. The closer he gets to retirement, the more I worry.

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I am a 911 dispatcher and my husband was a Deputy Sheriff in the same county. I hated working the same times as him, for fear he would get injured while I was here and I wouldn't be able to do my job. They actually didn't want to hire me because of that, at one point. Now he is in a different job and I am still here. Love my job! Now I only have to worry about my BFF, who is the only female cop in our county getting hurt while I am working. (In reality, I worry about them all, but her more than others)

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Bizarre, we just had this conversation with my kids this morning!

DH is a firefighter and we talk about the phone calls that are from him that start out, "Honey I am OK." Over the years I have learned that my next question should be, "OK Which hospital are you in?"

The worst was when there was a big explosion and I saw his helmet MELTED into asphalt on the TV news...... [​IMG] And what are you going to do - call him? People started calling me and I kept saying Don't you dare call his cell!!! He's either busy working or busy trying to stay alive so leave him alone!! You learn to live in the in between seconds. We have a ritual when we say goodbye, "I love you, be careful, come home." That's the deal and the reminder.

He was a little singed and beat up but he was fine. [​IMG]

I am glad your DH came home safe today. Give him a hug of thanks for me.

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

When your husband is a police officer...

I imagine one's hair gets gray fast..................or one spends lots of time coloring up.

I am sooooooo glad he CAME home and was able to tell you himself. [​IMG]

[​IMG] and THANKS for all who serve the public.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I've been married to a firefighter, and I've had ...ummm... close relationships with a couple cops..... in the 29 years I've been associated with 9-1-1 and public safety. Been through many incidents, including injuries and on duty field personnel deaths while in the Dispatch Center, and seen / heard / experienced these emotions.

So glad your DH came home safe, Gritty! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by