When your husband is fanatical about keeping kitchen knives sharp....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Jul 6, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's probably not a good idea to try and wipe hamburger stuck to the blade off with your thumb.

Just thought I throw that out there. [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I was so afraid there were going to be stitches involved when I read the title of your thread, Kat.
    Whew, glad I was wrong!

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

so... were there stitches? My DH does the same thing.. so I'm all used to dullish knives, and then one day i practically slice my hand off... the repeat every 2 months... hope you're okay!

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nope no stitches, just a nice clean slice across my thumb.
    I'm on roll tonight. I also broke the DH's milk glass in the sink. Same glass he's been drinking milk out of since he was in high school. [​IMG]

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe you can get another off e-bay.. not the same, i know, but...

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I knew it. I just knew it. Very little blood, and a very painful loose flap of skin on your thumb. I just did that last week cutting taters for potato salad. High Five Sister!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Why am I always behind you posting?? I broke Kens mug with the "I love you dad" thing on the outside. [​IMG]

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I'm the sharpening fanatic, here. I do most of the cooking, so it's ok. And DH knows to expect sharp knives! Once in awhile I lose small bit of finger or something......but less often than if I have to use a dull knife, the extra pressure needed tends to make me more prone to slipping and sticking myself.

Gritstar, I hope you didn't need stitches or anything. Many, many, many, moons ago, I had a boyfriend who cut his index finger really badly, (in the kitchen) there was a small artery cut, he had to have stitches, and there was nerve damage. I don't know if he ever got the feeling back in his fingertip.

All of your spouses really should warn you when they've sharpened the knives. Maybe you could convince them to put up a post-it or something, so you'll know. "Warning,warning, danger, Will Robinson! Sharp knives!"

ETA: Ok, I see no stitches, that's good!

I know it was an accident, but I can just see it.....Hmmpf! Sharpen things without telling me again, see what I break next time!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    My Grandmother used to say "Sharp knives are DANGEROUS!" and never had a sharp knife in her kitchen, I swear. I clubbed more tomatoes to death in her kitchen than I care to admit! I love sharp cutlery.

Glad you still have all your bits and pieces, grits. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have this slight problem that's kinda hard to explain. I am the only right-handed child in my family. Both parents and all of my siblings (5) are left handed. My mom grew up in a time when it was considered backwards to be left-handed, so she wrote with her right hand, but used her left hand for everything else. I am techically ambidextrious (sp?). I write right-handed most of the time, can write left-handed, use my left hand for everything else.
    Problem is, when I do things with my right hand - like using a knife - I do them backwards; cutting towards me instead of away for example.
    I'm an accident waiting for a place to happen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by