When??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cmclean, Oct 8, 2011.

1. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    When can I expect my hens to start laying eggs? I think they are about 3 mths old. I have read different posts about egg laying. Some say at 5 mths, others say hens are older. What about your first eggs? How old were the hens?

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I got my first egg when my hen was around 7 months, it varies on the breed, no one can say when your pullet will lay, usually around 6-8 months.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    just got my first egg last night and they are 18 weeks old as of yesterday [​IMG] Depends on the breed and when they feel like laying.

4. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    when my hens started laying it was about 3 mo. i think some started earlier it depends on the beed

5. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:What breed are your pullets? I have never heard of a pullet laying an egg at that young of age.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Quote:What breed are your hens? I have never heard of a pullet laying an egg at that young of age.

X2

7. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Quote:I have heard 20-25 weeks

8. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    Quote:What breed are your pullets? I have never heard of a pullet laying an egg at that young of age.

most of them got eatin by a fox but i think one was a roade island red im not sure but most of mine have started laying very very early...............no clue why.

9. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX

most of them got eatin by a fox but i think one was a roade island red im not sure but most of mine have started laying very very early...............no clue why.

They probably had to start early to avoid the FOX! So sorry you lost your hens so tragically.[​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had some pullets lay as early as 16 weeks (4 months) but generally 20 to 24 weeks is more the norm (5 to 6 months). My Rhode Island Whites are early birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by