When????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lanissa86, May 29, 2008.

1. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    DO ROOSTERS LOSE THIER VOICE???? lol. If anyone remembers Booger my sons Green chick, well, he turned out to be a stunning white leghorn boy! The only thing is..do ALL leghorns crow NON-STOP??? Will he grow out of it? I have a theory its because he is all by himself at his age. I am waiting for my babies to catch up since my original girls that were with him all got killed. I also think its because he WANTS a girl? I put him next to the big coop with the babies in it and he did a funny dance when he saw them all! lol. Very cute. So do you think hormones has something to do with his crowing?

Here he is! Booger!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In his temporary cage until I can mix him with the pullets.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Sorry to tell ya, but I have two Leghorn roo's and 11 girls, and the roos BOTH crow constantly! Drives DH nuts, but they are too aggressive with the girls, so they will be dinner in about 3-4 weeks!

3. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, thats not good news! [​IMG] We live in the city and I already think one annoying neighbor will report him as a nuisance. All the other neighbors are fine its just that one, but she isn't 100% we have chickens! My son will be heartbroken if we have to rehome him but it may end up to just that, I guess I will wait it out and see.

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    If your neighbors can tolerate crowing during the daylight hours, you might try shutting him up in a short cage at night. To really crow they have to be able to stand up and stretch their necks. Obviously you can't do that to him all the time, but enforcing a few quite hours at night wouldn't be too cruel.

5. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Hahah, I knew about them having to stretch their neck out to crow, so I tried what you are saying and he CAN CROW without his neck being stretched! very funny, but felt bad for him when he was doing it and didn't want him to hurt himself, so I stopped.

6. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Oh wow, i remember Booger - he turned out to be handsome! [​IMG]

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Aww he is cute! And you can still see some green next to his eyes! [​IMG] That is SO cute!

8. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I like the green around his eyes. I am going to be sad when he has no more green at all! My sons white chicken is named Booger but no more green to show for his name? I'm thinking of painting his toe nails!!! [​IMG]

9. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I wouldn't think he was an easter chick. He is beautiful. My guy was orange and has one big wattle and one small with brown flecks on his wings. Your guy looks perfect.

10. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Thank you. I didn't think he was going to turn out SO handsome being an Easter chick as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by