Where and how to feed

Apiculture

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Hello,

I have five 6 week old chicks that have almost outgrown their chick feeder. After quite a bit of reading I think I like the idea of a baby pig feeder in the coop. My concern is that if I feed in the coop then I'm attracting pests (rats) into the coop? They have access to a large run all day, does anybody just feed outside? If so what do you do with your feeder at night? I'm assuming you will have lots of rats if left out at night.

Thanks in advance,
Cassandra

Quote:
It is kinda your choice whether to feed in the coop or run. One thing mentioned occasionally is that chickens are hungry and thirsty in the mornings, so make sure they have access early. Also depends on your climate. I live in Seattle, outside food will get wet frequently, so mine is inside.
I don't think it will matter a lot as far as attracting rats. If you have a rat problem, just taking up the food at night probably won't help with it much. Chickens are messy eaters.
I leave the food in the coop 24/7 and haven't seen a rat in years- probably helps that I have a couple of cats out there too.

Imp

Quote:
It is kinda your choice whether to feed in the coop or run. One thing mentioned occasionally is that chickens are hungry and thirsty in the mornings, so make sure they have access early. Also depends on your climate. I live in Seattle, outside food will get wet frequently, so mine is inside.
I don't think it will matter a lot as far as attracting rats. If you have a rat problem, just taking up the food at night probably won't help with it much. Chickens are messy eaters.
I leave the food in the coop 24/7 and haven't seen a rat in years- probably helps that I have a couple of cats out there too.

Imp

Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom