where are all these eggs comming from

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JohnsonHomestead, Jul 30, 2011.

1. JohnsonHomestead

JohnsonHomestead Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    I have a mixed flock of productio reds 10 hens 1 roo and 4 "big white tanks" hens. These range in age from about 18 months to 2 1/2yrs the whites and 4 reds are oldest. I also have 5 black sexlink that are 12 wks. I have been getting steady 8-14 eggs a day since early march. Today I got 17 eggs. My question, Which is more likely older hens laying xtra eggs or young hens laying?

2. Chickenpoor

Chickenpoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    Young hens laying

3. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    12 weeks is a bit early for laying. Even Leghorns are at least 14 weeks, so my guess is the old girls are feeling pretty spry. You get the benefit of it.

4. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Are you certain of the age of the young 'uns? Do any of them look close or act close to laying? If no to both questions, then I'd guess the older girls are the ones giving you extras.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  5. JohnsonHomestead

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    The man at Atwoods said the chicks had been shipped in on may 1st, I bought a dz little black fuzzies on may 5th. Makes me think they were born last of April. They are showing red in combs, and face. If they have started this early, thats super, just wished they had waited until I had pulled eggs for my first incubator run. Just means I need to close them on there side of the yard I guess. If I keep getting over 14, then its just my older girls showing off.

6. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Well, I will be curious now so I hope you give an update! [​IMG]
    CJ

7. JohnsonHomestead

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    I will do that. hate to say that one of my big whites was doa this morning, no signs of any problems yesterday, no sign of henocide, just her time I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by