Where are my eggs?? and a mean hen UPDATED w/pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dreamwallaby, Dec 11, 2010.

1. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Im getting a bit frustrated. My four EEs were born in early May. Two months ago I heard them do the Egg Song. My neighbor heard it too, had chickens growing up and told me what the noise was. Went out to check about an hr later, no egg [​IMG] Have checked every morning since and no luck. No more Egg Song either. I do have a squirrel that visits the coop, but could he be eating ALL the eggs w/out leaving any evidence? Today I put 2 eggs in their nest boxes to see if the eggs are being eaten or just not laid. We'll see tomorrow.

I also have a mean hen, she attacked me for the 3rd time:mad: Only when I am in the run, when she is ranging she is fine. She actually growls at me!! Gets all puffed up and flys at my legs with talon out. How do I stop this or is she crock pot bound? And if I do get rid of her, will another hen just take the dominant spot and be aggressive?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    are you sure she is a hen. Sounds more like a roo protecting something. Either way I would eyeballed he(him) sne see what size crockpot you need.

3. dreamwallaby

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Quote:She's is def. a hen, but she does act like a roo protecting the flock and food sources. [​IMG] I had a rooster, but he started fighting with one of the other hens and I thought he was going to kill her. The rooster and the mean hen hung out together, ALWAYS next to eachother. She got aggressive after I got rid of him.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    You might want to post a pic of this 'hen' & get some opinions on whether or not she is a he.
    Regardless of the sex, the behavior is unacceptable. Have you tried showing it who's boss?
    If you can't alter the behavior, I vote for freezer camp!

5. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    hi,
    Just wanted to add..I saw squirrles run out of yje coop carrying whole eggs in thier mouth this summer.
    Amazed me because they did not look that big.

6. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I had a "ROO" who chased the girls, tried mounting them, and wouldn't have anything to do wtih the head roo in charge,
    one day I got him out from under a bush and he had been torn up by the older rooster. I took him to my sister and last week
    he layed and egg!!!! I guess he was confused?
    good luck with your mean chicken

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You mentioned them ranging, do you mean out of the run? If so, I'd go on an egg hunt. They don't necessarily lay in nest boxes. I've found eggs in tall grass, under shrubbry, in clumps of flowers, on top of hay bales, in the corner of horse stalls, under porch steps, in an old cast iron bath tub, you name it.

I'd be really interested in seeing your aggressive hen. Please post a pic?

8. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    i have found eggs, in tractors the buckets on my boom trucks in my bobcat skid steer attachments under the house in stacks of tires .... everywhere o_O i think they will literally lay an egg where every they think you wont find it if they free range -.- and if ya do find it watch out its probably a gernEGG now

9. dreamwallaby

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    I will get a pic of the hen tomorrow, But I promise it is a hen. [​IMG] they are only supervised rangers. They get out maybe 1-2x a wk since I live in a suburban town and my yard is not fenced. The run is 10x10, they get layer pellets and some cracked corn also in the am. They look very healthy and seem happy but no eggs.

10. dreamwallaby

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Here are the pics of Buckbeak AKA Mean Hen She developed at the same rate for feathers and tail as the other 3 and has a smaller comb than 2 of them. Sorry the pics aren't great, its raining here and windy today.
    Im pretty sure this a Hen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by