Where are my eggs lol

Julie1977

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
Northern California
Hi all, I have 6 little 6 month old barnevelder pullets shouldn't they be laying by now? I am kind of new to this and as I understand, don't they start laying around 17 weeks? or am I just being to impatient? I do have adults that are laying but I am quite new to knowing much about the young ones. Thanks everyone
frow.gif

The "average" beginning of lay can be between 18-28 weeks - and some birds can take even longer, even within species that are generally known to lay sooner. Just as with people, all birds do things at their own pace. Do they appear to be nearing the point of lay - showing reddening/development, doing any squatting, etc?

Hi and I thank you for the quick response :) yes their combs are getting bigger and their wattles are growing a bit but no squatting that I have noticed. I suppose I am just getting a little anxious. Thank you Ol grey mare

Do you have nests set up that are easily accessible?
Have they been checking them out at all?

Do you free range? If you do, they might have found another place to lay out on their range area.....you could confine them to the coop for a few days, all day or until mid afternoon or so, and see if you find any eggs.

Hi and thank you for your response
smile.png
I have barnevelders and I suppose they are just a late laying breed at least that is what I have been told. Hopefully it will be soon though as it is tough waiting lol. I do have nests as I do have 8 adults. Just wasn't quite sure about the young ones. This site has such nice people! thank you!

Back
Top Bottom