Where are my eggs lol

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Julie1977, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Julie1977

Julie1977 In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi all, I have 6 little 6 month old barnevelder pullets shouldn't they be laying by now? I am kind of new to this and as I understand, don't they start laying around 17 weeks? or am I just being to impatient? I do have adults that are laying but I am quite new to knowing much about the young ones. Thanks everyone [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The "average" beginning of lay can be between 18-28 weeks - and some birds can take even longer, even within species that are generally known to lay sooner. Just as with people, all birds do things at their own pace. Do they appear to be nearing the point of lay - showing reddening/development, doing any squatting, etc?

3. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    haha, I had a similar experience with my chickens. Just be patient. [​IMG]

4. Julie1977

Julie1977 In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi and I thank you for the quick response :) yes their combs are getting bigger and their wattles are growing a bit but no squatting that I have noticed. I suppose I am just getting a little anxious. Thank you Ol grey mare

5. Julie1977

Julie1977 In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Lol thank you Gatsbysmum I will try to be patient but it is hard to do.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you have nests set up that are easily accessible?
    Have they been checking them out at all?

Do you free range? If you do, they might have found another place to lay out on their range area.....you could confine them to the coop for a few days, all day or until mid afternoon or so, and see if you find any eggs.

7. Julie1977

Julie1977 In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi and thank you for your response [​IMG] I have barnevelders and I suppose they are just a late laying breed at least that is what I have been told. Hopefully it will be soon though as it is tough waiting lol. I do have nests as I do have 8 adults. Just wasn't quite sure about the young ones. This site has such nice people! thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by