where are my eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by twigcrafter, Nov 29, 2016.

1. twigcrafter

twigcrafter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2016
    Orange county NY
    [​IMG]I'm getting frustrated here.
    I have a flock of 20 hens and 2 roos. The oldest hens where hatched in late April, The youngest, mid June. I'm lucky if I get 2 eggs a day and only one of my hens lays in the nesting box.

I think 3 are laying because they have a little poop on their butt feathers.

The first to lay, Mrs. Walker, started laying under the shed, then she moved to laying in a tree. Now I have no idea where she's laying them.

They are free range and I've searched everywhere I can think of.
    I have fake eggs in the nesting box, I've kept them locked up til 11;00am and no luck . These are afternoon layers. I can't keep them cooped up all day in their little coop.

It has ample roosting but not very much walk around room. 6ftX6ft. by 7 1/2ft high. I made a checker board grid type roost, about 5 1/2 ft high so they have lots of room and still huddle together. looks like I could easily fit more. lol. Not gonna happen.

They eat like queens, dumor layer feed, plus lots of kitchen scraps. ( I babysit 4 kids and they never finish their dinner). Plus all the bugs they can find on about 3 acres of field and woods.

I'm tired of buying eggs and feeding these freeloaders .

Well that was a bit harsh. I do enjoy watching my chicken show. But where are my eggs !!!

thanks for letting me rant. My DH just laughs when I complain about my chickens.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    'Hidden' - that's where they are.

3. twigcrafter

May 5, 2016
    Orange county NY
    [​IMG] I know lol, I can't believe I've been out smarted by a bunch of chickens .

I keep thinking I will stumble across a massive pile of rotten eggs one day.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They can be sneaky.

5. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    probably lol

you could try to lock them up for a week at least so they can re-familiarize themselves with 'home'

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Without any mature hens to show them the ropes, you will need to confine them to a run for a few weeks till they get in the habit of using the nest boxes. Some dummy eggs will help show them where to put those eggs.

7. twigcrafter

May 5, 2016
    Orange county NY
    The squeaky wheel gets the oil !,

Today i kept seeing "beauty" my chicken that actually lays her eggs in the nest boxes, in the coop all day. Well it was raining so I paid no mind. But when I went to get her egg tonight , there was 3 in the box!!! [​IMG]

happy, happy, joy, joy .

I guess it wasn't her all day. She's one of my 14 black australorps chickens.

:) Laura

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by