Where are my eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leasmom, Jan 5, 2009.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Okay I had a few problems with the eggs were being eaten by the hens because they needed calcium. I solved that problem by changing their feed and giving them oyster shell. They laid for three days in a row but then they have stopped for three days in a row. There isn't even any indentions in the straw that they even tried to lay in order to eat their eggs...whats going on??? They're RIR's...its only two of them.

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have stopped too...I just figured it was due to the change in season.

3. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    How long has it been for yours?

4. EllyMae

I think we are going on week 2 [​IMG]. I even tried feeding the supplement I feed to my horse(other horse/chicken owners sweared by it) but still no eggs. I guess when nature says it's time for the hens to take a break, there isn't much to do about it unless you want to add lights to the coop.

5. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    I've got lights. Theyre in an open indoor pen in the`garage.

6. EllyMae

Hmmm, I don't know...I've been reading several posts regarding this subject. I just chalked it up to the season.

7. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    alot of people are having this problem, wow.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have twenty four hens that could possibly lay me an egg on any given day. Yesterday I got three. Today it was SIX! Woohoo!

9. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    We have 21 hens that too, could lay an egg on any given day. The egg count has fluctuated from 4 - 10 per day during the last 2 weeks. We just hung up a "fresh eggs" sign over the nesting boxes to remind them why they're here.[​IMG] Maybe that will help the count go up.

10. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    In the winter your egg production will always fluctuate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by