Where are my eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xchef95x, Nov 14, 2007.

1. xchef95x

xchef95x New Egg

Jul 20, 2007
    bridgewater ma
    i have 3 chickens, (2 golden comets and 1 New Hampshire red) the two golden comets started laying about a month, month and a half ago... the NH red still hasn't. It is deffinatly bigger than the other two and my local feed store told me maybe the eggs are stuck inside. How do i find out if they are in there and then how do i get them out if that is the case. OR... maybe the NH red just isn't ready yet? somebody please help me. i am but a wondering Nomad in the vast world of chicken keeping.

Brian A
    Bridgewater Massachusetts

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi Brian-

Some breeds start laying later than others. Our girls were all born at the same time, last May. We have a mix of breeds. The red sex-link (Cinnamon Queen, very similar to your Golden Comets, these birds are specifically bred to be egg-laying machines, so they often start earlier) started laying first, at about 20 weeks old (last month). The Rhode Island Red started 2 weeks later, the Barred Rock a week after that, and the Australorp and the Wyandotte JUST started laying this week (they are 25 weeks old)!!! So--- just keep an eye out, I'll bet your New Hampshire Red will start laying soon.

Have fun!
    Stacey

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, your sex links should start earlier and be more powerful layers. Your NH will probably start later, even if not alot later since season is cold and days are short.

4. anniemyth

anniemyth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2007
    Clark county, Indiana
    I have 3 Jersey giant pullets (26 weeks) that haven't laid yet and I have heard other people have them lay at 5 months. I think its a weird year for first time layers. Anyone else with jersey giants want to give me an estimate? I am almost pacing at this point.

5. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I think I have a Jersey Giant mix, and I've read that they mature MUCH slower than other chickens. I'll be watching what yours does for sure!

6. anniemyth

Nov 14, 2007
    Clark county, Indiana
    ok, make that 27 weeks and no eggs. Only one pullet looks like she is ready. But no squatting.[​IMG]

7. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I've got 2 barred rocks that have been laying for a month now. My speckled sussex is the same age and still has not layed. I guess chickens are like people, some are just slow bloomers.

8. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Quote:I have 17 White Jersey Giants left of 23 (two days ago I gave a friend of mine 5 hens and one of the two roosters). My friend told me he's gotten two eggs these past two days (both puny ping-pong ball sized), one each day. I haven't got one yet! (his birds are in a small run with the coop, mine free range over 5 acres in woods). The birds are all 5 and 1/2 months old. I'm waiting and I'll be putting a few wooden eggs in the 3 nest boxes in the coop Monday or Tuesday when they get here, in the hopes it'll keep mine from laying out in the woods...if that's what they're doing.

9. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Heh...I let the birds out this morning and just for the heck of it check one of the nests and whadayaknow...an egg. Nice sized, fully formed, just about a golfball and a half big. Monday these JG's will be 23 weeks old.

10. anniemyth

Nov 14, 2007
    Clark county, Indiana
    28 weeks yesterday and still counting.. nuthin. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by