Where are my eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickfam4, Sep 28, 2012.

1. chickfam4

chickfam4 New Egg

May 2, 2012
    Illinois
    I have 4 hens - (1 Rhode Island, 1 Buff, 1 Black Sex Link & 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte) they are all know 23-25 weeks old) I have been getting one egg fairly consistenly from I think my Black Sex Link - I have had a couple days where I have 2 eggs, but have never had more than that - they are all on layer feed so I am not sure what is going on - these are our first chickens - HELP Please!

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    They egg you've been getting likely is from your BSL. They tend to start early and lay regularly. I'd advise patience...some breeds are later starters than others...like 26 to 28 weeks. Have the others exhibited signs that they may be starting, such as exploring the nest boxes, watching as the BSL lays, squatting...

3. chickfam4

chickfam4 New Egg

May 2, 2012
    Illinois
    Well the other issue that I have is they like to roost on the edge of the nest boxes instead of the roost in the coop - it has been a challenge to keep the nest boxes clean because of this, not sure how to fix that problem. I went out every night for a week and moved them and then they would be right back over on the nest boxes, the next night - finally just gave up on that - even put in a higher roost hoping that would make them happy -

They are all extremely happy and are inquisitive about the other egg when it is in the box, but that is about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by