Where are my eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Frizzlett98, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I have a bunch of hens whose pelvic bones have been separating for at least a month now. They are just a little over 1 finger's width apart. They've been about the same for at least 2 weeks now. When can I expect eggs? I had 2 hens that began separating first but they slowed down and now another hen has taken the lead. They are 22 weeks old. All together I have 2 Tetra Tints, 1 bantam Cochin (frizzle), 1 Production Red, 4 Red Sex links, 4 Silkies (2 roos), 3 Cuckoo Marans (1 roo. Just found out today they're not Barred Rocks), 2 Silver Sebright (1 roo), 2 Japanese game hens, 6 Barred Rocks (4 are roosters though), and 3 bantam Barred Rocks (1 is a roo). They are different ages but not too far apart in age. I know on average when they should lay but I'm wondering, since their pelvic bones are separating, shouldn't they lay soon? I bought some of them 2 weeks ago and was told 5 of them are laying and I haven't gotten a single egg from them. I know it takes time but I need to sell eggs to pay for food for them. The only chicken I have that is laying right now is the Silver Sebright hen. I had another SS hen that was laying but she was sadly killed yesterday by a possum and I had a Mottled Cochin (not laying) who was killed the day before.

2. thechxwhisperer

thechxwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    Florida
    They could be hiding their eggs.

3. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    They have no place to hide them. We have 3 separate pens with nest boxes in each one. They are confined to a fenced in area with a cover on top due to a hawk stealing one of our chickens. There's no place they can hide them lol

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    1 finger isn't wide enough, should be 2+ fingers.

You mention you got some of them 2 weeks ago...still could be under stress from new environment.
    Stress from predator attack can effect the whole flock.

That's alot of chickens! Hopefully they have plenty of room and nests and space is not a stress factor too.

5. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    We got some new chickens but mine stopped separating before we got the new ones. Then we had a round of coccidiosis that effected most of them. Then there was a possum that killed 2 of my chickens which caused the only hen that was laying to stop. It's been almost a week since she quit laying. Hopefully she'll start again soon. We have been a little short on space because we're still trying to introduce the new chickens in to my flock and have had to give up one of our pens just for the newbies. We just bought 4 Silkies today and we're giving up more space for them. We're putting them in pen with our bantams but we had our other old Silkies in that pen and have had to move them to our 3rd pen. Shew! Hope you could follow all of that lol. When we can get them used to each other, we'll have plenty of room. We're going to do some moving around and introductions tomorrow to get our space back. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by