Where are the eggs.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Big Orp, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Big Orp

Big Orp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Medway Ohio
    My BO's are about 20 weeks old. Over the weekend the roosters had started breeding with some of the hens. Some willingly and others not so much. So if they are starting to breed shouldn't they be laying.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    20 weeks is rather young for birds to start laying, especially in the winter. Roosters mature quicker than pullets, and will often start attempting to breed long before hens start laying. Are the hens "squatting" for the roosters? If so, they should start laying soon.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Orps are not well known for early laying. Once the days start lengthening, and they are older (26 weeks or more) you might be more likely to start seeing eggs.

4. Big Orp

Big Orp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Medway Ohio
    Some hens have started to squat for the roosters but most haven't. I also have a light on a timer so that they are getting 14 hours of light a day and the coop stays about 40 degrees.A lot of the hens have started showing a lot of interest in the nests. Especially now that i have put nesting eggs in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by