1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where are the Elk, dang it!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SkyWarrior, Nov 16, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Just some nonsensical ramblings tonight. [​IMG]

Once again, it's hunting season, and once again we're chasing the elusive wapiti. [​IMG]

I should be happy. We got our three deer tags filled. [​IMG] But alas, finding elk has been an absolute mystery. We maybe, just maybe found their beds and then we got 2 feet of snow and can't get to them. Chances are, they've left there too. [​IMG]

Today we looked for tracks and came up with nada. Saw deer -- whitetail and muley -- saw moose. Two moose. Elk? Nope. Nada. Zip.

To make matters worse, the elk have been depleted by our wolf population. So, areas that had lots of elk no longer do.

Sigh. Thanks for listening.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    The elk have moved to TN. No kidding, there's a herd just down the road from here. Have not heard them bugling yet this fall. This guy has a really tall fence to keep them in but they escape sometimes.

3. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    To make matters worse, the elk have been depleted by our wolf population. So, areas that had lots of elk no longer do.

Sounds like it is time to let them repopulate. Makes no sense to pressure a thing into leaving your area and then moan that they are all gone. You like hunting them? Then be proactive to help them regenerate. Otherwise they will drift to where there is less predator pressure and you will have lost the pleasure of the local hunt and have to travel to find them, which can be a real PITA. Not to mention that hunters in their new area may become a tad resentful having you moving in on their favorite hunting grounds.

JMO

Rusty​

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I would write to your Game Department and ask them to do something about the wolves. Your license and tag fees are for managing your wildlife, all wildlife and that includes killing wolves.

I hunted in 1996 near Lima Reservoir and Antone Peak and saw plenty of elk. The wolves had not reached that area yet though at that time. Yellowstone was devoid of wildlife this summer other than buffalo.

We have wolves in Oregon now and one actually made it to western Oregon near Roseburg.

I would shoot them.
    Quote:

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Wanna scoop up the dead young buck up that deceided to tackle a car last night? totaled the car and the elk was dead instantly. We got a decent elk poulation ,along with white tails, turkey and prairie chicken here in Fort Riley.

6. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Quote:Sounds like it is time to let them repopulate. Makes no sense to pressure a thing into leaving your area and then moan that they are all gone. You like hunting them? Then be proactive to help them regenerate. Otherwise they will drift to where there is less predator pressure and you will have lost the pleasure of the local hunt and have to travel to find them, which can be a real PITA. Not to mention that hunters in their new area may become a tad resentful having you moving in on their favorite hunting grounds.

JMO

Rusty

Let them repopulate by getting rid of the wolves.

7. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Sounds like it is time to let them repopulate. Makes no sense to pressure a thing into leaving your area and then moan that they are all gone. You like hunting them? Then be proactive to help them regenerate. Otherwise they will drift to where there is less predator pressure and you will have lost the pleasure of the local hunt and have to travel to find them, which can be a real PITA. Not to mention that hunters in their new area may become a tad resentful having you moving in on their favorite hunting grounds.

JMO

Rusty

Let them repopulate by getting rid of the wolves.

But do we have the right to get rid of the wolves. They were here FIRST. They just follow the population of their prey around and get pushed around by the ever expanding areas of farm land and whatever humans do . If you get rid of the wolves you will have too many deer/elk/rabbit....(whatever they eat) this will anger the farmers that depend on their land. Nature kept a pretty dang good blance of predator and prey until human intervened.

8. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Actually, the wolves were reintroduced and that's when the herds started the decline. Humans are only at best 8% successful on hunts according to the FWP, and that includes ALL big game: elk, moose, deer, wolves, antelope and bear.

To this day, I have yet to harvest an elk. Same with my husband.

Ah well, this is not a pro or oppose wolf thread. I just wish I saw some elk.

Quote:Let them repopulate by getting rid of the wolves.

But do we have the right to get rid of the wolves. They were here FIRST. They just follow the population of their prey around and get pushed around by the ever expanding areas of farm land and whatever humans do . If you get rid of the wolves you will have too many deer/elk/rabbit....(whatever they eat) this will anger the farmers that depend on their land. Nature kept a pretty dang good blance of predator and prey until human intervened.

9. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:But do we have the right to get rid of the wolves. They were here FIRST. They just follow the population of their prey around and get pushed around by the ever expanding areas of farm land and whatever humans do . If you get rid of the wolves you will have too many deer/elk/rabbit....(whatever they eat) this will anger the farmers that depend on their land. Nature kept a pretty dang good blance of predator and prey until human intervened.

no it is not a wolf thread.I just wanted to make a point that nature had a pretty good balance before we intervened, since i come from a country where wolfs and bears were wiped out.
    You need to come to Kansas we got the elks you want.

10. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Basic environmental process: elk numbers go up, predator numbers go up. Then elk numbers go down, then - surprise! - predator numbers go down. Elk numbers then rebound. We don't need to be hunting the wolves, oye. Things will regulate themselves. Unlike humans, wolves won't hunt their prey to extinction [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by