Where are the guineas going?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmsisters, Nov 26, 2010.

1. farmsisters

farmsisters New Egg

Nov 26, 2010
    Hello all, I hope you experts will help me. I live on 8 acres and have recently acquired guineas,,middle size, they keep disappearing,,,,I cannot find evidence of any feathers, struggles, etc,,where do they go? I have four left and would like to know how many I need for a flock to protect themselves? also I followed the recommendations of the seller and kept them in for two weeks, etc,,
    Help! PS I love the four adults I have now, they are full grown, but there were 10 and six full grown disappeared:(

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It could be a coyote, raccoon, probably not a hawk but maybee, a stray dog, or a feral cat. There is a long list of things that could have done it. Have you tried setting a trap?

3. farmsisters

farmsisters New Egg

Nov 26, 2010
    thanks for your reply,,wouldn't I see some evidence if it were those predators other than a hawk? There is absolutely no evidence, Ihave walked the acreage several times,
    thanks

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I dont know if it makes any difference, but I have found that if I want guineas to stay, they have to be raised here from chicks. If I get them half grown they roam away, they dont know where home is.

5. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Are they fenced in (not that it matters with guineas)? Are they in a coop? I've had disappearing birds and then caught a hawk in the act. Foxes will also take the bird and run it back to their den.

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They could have ran off. I would put a dog tracking collar like for hunting dogs on one. If it runs off you will know where it went, and maybee what happened to it. Hope that helps. I had to do this with mine.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are they roosting in the trees at night? If so, my guess is that a Great Horned owl is taking them.

8. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:I agree with halo. many time guineas will not stay if you didn't raise them from chicks. They try to find their way back where they came from. have you checked with the previous owner?

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    A dog could carry them off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by