where are the wonderful st. louis area chicken people ????

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenbuddy0, Jan 14, 2009.

1. chickenbuddy0

chickenbuddy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    southwest Illinois
    I live in Ofallon Illinois on the Illinois side of the Mississippi river. Is there anyone close??? How do you like this 0 degree weather we are having ? I'm not liking it much. Right now, I'm in the house bundled up freezing.

2. pinguin

pinguin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    SW IL
    There's at least one more. [​IMG]

I live north of Edwardsville. Warm in the house but chilly in the coop. Made an afternoon run for a second heat lamp for my girls and boys. First one (heat lamp) is keeping Ms Broody warm. She's just finished week one on nine eggs.

3. chickenbuddy0

chickenbuddy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    southwest Illinois
    hello pinquin ! I can't believe that we are the only ones ??????. No wonder I never here any rooster crows.[​IMG] Interesting that you have a hen sitting at this time of the year. Wow, I'll bet she's thankful for that heat lamp you put out. Do you ever go to the waterloo swap meet ? I go pretty often and kinda like it. Well, thanks for responding to my shout out. Keep warm!

4. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    I'm here, but from the MO side of things. I'm about an hour outta of St Lou. Just trying to survive this cold and hoping spring makes an early appearance.

Smiles
    Jul

5. dickiebird

dickiebird Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2007
    Cedar Hill MO
    Howdy, on the MO side also. About 30 miles So. of St Louis. Live on 15 acres, have 30 something chickens, a couple donkeys, lots of dogs & cats, and oh yes one emu.
    I have a collection of old Hot Rods and Vintage race cars.
    My wife is an artist involved in comissioned pet portraits.
    We are both retired.

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. showme31

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Ohhhhhhhhh, donkeys. My dd was saving for 1 when she was 5 years old. While she has seemed to drop that dream, I would love to add one to my menagerie.

We are on 30 acres with 7 horses (8 next year), 7 goats (3 of those are due this spring so that number is going to grow quickly), down to 8 ducks, down to 20 chickens, a load of cats, a couple of dogs, 2 marine aquariums, 1 freshwater aquarium, couple of parakeets, couple of hamsters, a house bunny. No emus here, a bird that big is scary, LOL.

Who knows what I'll be adding when/if hubby goes back to work. I have visions of cows and pigs, even a couple of turkeys.

Smiles
    Jul

7. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    ChickenbuddyO I am about an 1hr and a 1/2 southeast of you.

8. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    Well I'm a LITTLE further afield than you folks.... like 2 1/2 hours west of St. Louis. I live in Jefferson City, MO. It is so cold that 4 of my 7 eggs were frozen/cracked tonight when I collected them.

I have big dreams for goats and a mini donkey. Right now we're waiting for a house that has been on the market forever to sell. When it does we'll have the funds to put up a small barn for my chicken flock to share with the goats we want to acquire. Until them, we're enjoying the hens and watching lots of HGTV... Designed to Sell, Curb Appeal,. etc [​IMG]

showme31, I need to keep in touch with you since you might be a good goat source! What breed(s) do you keep?

9. showme31

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    I just have the everyday run of the mill pygmys. I had them years ago, and got out of them when we moved here. Then one day an ad in the paper and a desire to clear some serious brush off this property and we jumped right back into them full force. I love those super silly creatures, even if they are putting hubby over the edge by eating up some of his landscaping when they get the chance. Don't ya know the more expensive the landscaping plant the yummier they find it, LOL!

I'll be sure to post pics when kidding starts. I'm excited about it this year, 2 does are due on my 7 year olds birthday.

Smiles
    Jul

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  10. Pittboss

Pittboss New Egg

Jan 8, 2008
    st. louis, MO
    hi neighbors,Im from south st. louis county and this weather is killing me. I dont have any chickens now but had a few when i lived in crestwood. I was wondering where are the good spots to pick-up some chicks or started birds this spring. Ive gone to the swap in waterloo and really enjoyed it and wouldnt be opposed to going back but im open to new ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by