Where are they going to lay the eggs?

vsolosky

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 31, 2012
Easton, Pa
Hi everyone! I'm new to the chicken world, this "batch" of chickens being my very first...

I have 4 EE that will turn 20 weeks on the 13th of November. I'm really hoping to get some eggs before winter (I know they'll probably wait until next year, but a girl can hope, can't she? LOL)

Anyway, my question is, they have a coop, with nest boxes (but the goofy chickens started sleeping in their nest boxes, girls and the boys and only sometimes use the roosts). They have a run, but we have a "tunnel" that allows them to go from the run into my yard, so they free range my yard all day. I'm wondering where I should look for the eggs - do you think they will actually lay them in the nest boxes or do you think we will have an easter egg (er) - haha - hunt?

Thanks everyone for the input!

:)

Look for them to be squatting, this is a sign they are breeding age. Also may attention to their face, when notice them becoming much more red then they are close to laying! Also listen for the egg song.. look it up on youtube.. you will know it when you hear it because the first time you do you will run out in a panic wondering what is wrong with them (at least thats what i did ahah). Most of mine started laying on the ground, but then moved into the boxes. you can put a golf ball or fake egg in the nest box so they 'get the idea'.
Hope this helps! My EE just started laying last week at 23 weeks

when they start to lay keep them in the coop for about a week. They'll get the idea that it is the place to lay their eggs. If you suspect they are already laying but you aren't getting eggs, look for dark places (behind bushes, on soft turned dirt, corners). Usually if I hear a lot of commotion coming from an area, I can track down my ladies favorite nesting spots (outside of the nesting box)

Those girls aren't going to lay for a long time. Most EE's take up to 24 weeks, sometimes longer depending on the season. Sorry

Ok, thanks! Also, how will I know if they start to lay? Or do they not really give a sign - I'll just find eggs one day?

Back
Top Bottom