Where are your storing your supplies?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaurelC, Jan 23, 2014.

1. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    I'm in the planning stages of a duck pen/house. They aren't going to have anything very elaborate, but I need a way to store straw and food bags. Rubbermaid used to sell huge hinged plastic storage chests which were pretty close to waterproof that would have been great for a bale of straw, plus another one for bags of seeds/oyster shell/etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they're made anymore, and I'm at a loss for a cost-effective method for storing all of my "gear" without a shed.

2. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    30 gal metal trashcan w/lid for extra feed, and added some 2x4s above like a loft to place extra bales and bags of shavings.

3. ladyhawke917

ladyhawke917 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    Look on Craigslist or freecycle for an old chest freezer. They are super for feed storage and if you are lucky (like I was) you will find someone who is happy to let you have it as long as you carry it out and haul it away. The lid is too heavy for coons or possums to lift and critters can't chew their way in.

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    The 31 gallons galvanized garbage cans with lid were on sale at Tractor Supply last weekend for $20. They might still be on sale. I bought one and it comfortably holds 100 pounds of feed with room to spare.

5. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    [​IMG] Agreed. This is how I store my feed. The freezer idea is new to me (except as cut wood storage), but makes sense as well.

6. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    I'm pretty sure my husband would divorce me if I tried to put a chest freezer in our yard (we have one for storing food, but it's in the laundry room and plugged in).

I will look into the galvanized trash cans. Any reason to go with galvanized over plastic? We don't have a big critter problem in the suburbs where I live.

7. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I use metal trash cans for feed just to be sure to keep the rodents out of the feed. I don't have a problem that I know of & plan to keep it that way.

8. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    There's my T/S garbagecan/feed bin. The reason for the metal trashcan, is that rodents can't chew their way in.

[​IMG]

9. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    We have some big critters here, but even if you don't, feed can bring them on, and even mice can eventually chew through a plastic can. BTW...the galvanized cans I looked at were cheaper than the plastic ones.

10. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Do those chickens know you keep the feed in there? I see the one on the back left eyeing the can. Looks like she may be planning a break-in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by