Where can I buy a good heat lamp for my baby duck brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kikidee, Jun 29, 2011.

1. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    I don't want to order it online, I just have no idea where to get a brooder lamp! Someone said Lowes and mine does not carry them. I don't live in a rural area, but I do have a near by feed barn. I will check there, but in the mean time, do you guys know of any stores that might carry them?

2. California Gurl

California Gurl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    What about Home Depot or Walmart/ The cheapest I found it was at the Tractor Supply Store. Also after Chick days was over they were selling their 2pk 250w Red light bulb for $6.99 I don't know if they still do it though.

3. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    The reptile lightbulbs that make heat, not light, at Walmart also work. Cheaper on the electric bill. they screw into the same light fixture.

Feed stores usually carry the chicken feeders/waterers and lights.

Be sure and get a brooder lamp with a porcelain socket, not the cheap plastic sockets - the heat llight gets hot and the porcelain socket won't melt.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

[​IMG]
    Quote:Walmart has brooder lamps and heat lamp bulbs in the Hardware department. Tractor Supply has the lamps and bulbs too. They are the same price as the ones at Walmart are.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  5. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Las Cruces, NM
    I bought a red 100W infrared reptile bulb at Pet Smart today and screwed it into my lamp and the 1 day old chicks are fine with it. They are in the house and a 250w was just too hot.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We use reptile lamps and heat bulbs, they are made to handle the heat unlike the plastic sockets, and have nice on/off switch built into the cord.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by