Where can I buy Alfalfa hay in Paulding County, GA?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Granolamom, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    We don't even HAVE our goats, yet, but "Eager Beaver" here is looking for Alfalfa hay already, so we'll have everything in place when we do get them. Any good sources you know of?

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I would go for grass hay and alfalfa PELLETS. My goats, anyway, waste the hay only eating the leaves and leaving the stem. The pellets disappear however [​IMG] and are consistent in quality.

3. Granolamom

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:Sounds reasonable to me! I already know where to get the pellets, too. How much per day do 2 wethers go through, ones their weaned? As for the grass hay, can I just let them graze a pasture?

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Goats don't really 'graze' grass, they browse weeds. As long as you have enough browse...then I suppose you could get away with not offering hay. If it were me, though, I'd still offer the hay.

For large breed wethers...gosh, maybe a pint a day each? Maybe more, maybe less depending on body condition. The breeder I purchased my Nubi doe from gives them a pint of grain twice a day plus alfalfa pellets and hay...but they're breeders. Perhaps someone with large breed wethers can chime in.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I agree that you may not need to provide round the clock hay for them as they are a great weed eaters ( pardon the punn ). I would also be on the lookout for alfalfa bettles that can be very harmful if eaten, and is common in baled alfalfa hay.

AL

6. Granolamom

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    My neigbor is going to let me use her pasture, which is surrounded by uncultured land (trees, pine saplings, blackberry bushes, Kudzu, weeds galore). I hope this will be enough for them to browse on. The kids and I will be with them, when they are back there, and when we're not home, they'll be in a pen, with hay and the other stuff (I'm still learning...[​IMG].

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    They will LOVE the pine! Wethers don't need alfalfa hay anyway, just a nice grass hay. I get burmuda.

8. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    So what is the best hay for goats. I have been feeding an orchardgrass/oat mix hay. And am running low. I was planning on getting the alfalfa hay and if it hadn't been rainy here today I would have got it. So what should I get?

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  10. Granolamom

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by