Where can I buy baby chicks now?

palmerchick

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
I just wanted a few ducks so I went to the local feed store and every chick duck, etc. is sold out. Went online, I have to wait until the end of May to get chicks! What is going on, I've never had this much trouble finding chicks. TIA
Frustrated in Kansas

I went to Oreschlins and tractor supply and they sold out. They are waiting on new shipments but they both said they were supposed to there last week and they hadn't arrived. I'm just wondering If something is going on with hatches or has everyone caught chicken fever!

Seems this year people are buying them up, try all the feed stores and then craigslist and then look for local farmers, post on here for a local shout out & post on facebook and tack up want adds at the feed stores... Where you live if it isn't too cold find a local hatchery that ships, meyer and my my pet chicken do small orders but they're getting late in the year for variety that isn't called for so decide what exactly you want and then you'll have to hunt :-/

and also on criagslist you can post " Need Chickens" and when people look for places to give there chickens to, they will se your post.

Try Meyer Hatchery first thing on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday morning on their "Available Now" link. It's common for hatcheries to hatch out a few more chicks than are pre-ordered, so the "over-hatch" chicks will be posted for sale the same day they hatch. But . . . they go FAST.

Some of the rare breeds I wanted last year were sold out for months, but when I checked the "Available Now" link, I was able to pick up a welsummer and olive egger, as well as more common breeds (dominique, barred rock, easter eggers).

I've been able to order small batches of chicks from Meyer (3 to 5 chicks at a time), which is really helpful as I keep a small flock.

Last edited:
Some TSC stores are having trouble with the post office
hmm.png
Or you could special order -- you have to buy 25 but you could split with a friend?

Try Meyer Hatchery first thing on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday morning on their "Available Now" link.  It's common for hatcheries to hatch out a few more chicks than are pre-ordered, so the "over-hatch" chicks will be posted for sale the same day they hatch.  But . . . they go FAST.  

Some of the rare breeds I wanted last year were sold out for months, but when I checked the "Available Now" link, I was able to pick up a welsummer and olive egger, as well as more common breeds (dominique, barred rock, easter eggers).

I've been able to order small batches of chicks from Meyer (3 to 5 chicks at a time), which is really helpful as I keep a small flock.
I agree with this as well- I've also found their customer service to be amazing and they have a good selection and almost everyone's experiences are excellent, the negative ones can't really be helped, they do care.

Back
Top Bottom