Where can I buy metronidazole for chickens?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...onidazole-for-chickens.1524900/#post-25687823
banned_1.png

banned_2.png

banned_3.png

banned_4.png

banned_5.png
If the FDA says you should take something, don't. If they say don't take something it's because they are saving all of it for themselves.

Metronidazole is used for certain bacterial infections, as mentioned in that report. Sometimes possible side effects are not a reason for failing to use a life saving medication, and that's why it's off the list for food animals.
We all want meds for humans (and pets) to continue to be effective!
Sadly, fluroquinolones like Baytril are also off limits for poultry. Approved drugs are a pretty short list for livestock species, for good reasons. Things have really tightened up in the last few years, a good thing.
Mary

Wow, I don't think I want to risk giving that to him then. Not sure if you can help me with this on not, but is there another medication you would recommend for ear canker (which is what I suspect he has)? I've already tried Baytril and it didn't work.
Don't worry about it. If you think he has canker, get the metronidazole. But keep in mind that canker is actually pretty rare in poultry, so chances are it's something else.

Google Fish Zole or AquaZole. Get the 250mg tablets. Dose is 23 mg per pound for five days.

Don't worry about it. If you think he has canker, get the metronidazole. But keep in mind that canker is actually pretty rare in poultry, so chances are it's something else.

Google Fish Zole or AquaZole. Get the 250mg tablets. Dose is 23 mg per pound for five days.
Do you think it might not be ear canker? He has orange, brown stuff coming out of his ears, and the insides of his ears are really swollen. It used to be wet inside his ears, but that seems to have gone away. He keeps doing a yawning motion with his mouth too.

Just because its not FDA approved doesn't mean vets don't write prescriptions for it.There are several "human" drugs that aren't approved for animal use but its legally prescribed.My vet prescribed a antibiotic for my dog when he got sick a couple years ago but I was afraid to use it because it wasn't approved for dogs.I only gave him a small dose and he couldn't see or stand up the next day.Anytime you use a drug thats not been approved for animals be very careful with it.The vet asked me to bring him back up, they'd do an xray .I haven't got a clue what he thought he'd find with an xray but these new symptoms weren't going to magically show a cause by doing an xrays.I threw the pills in the trash and never went back.My dog recovered slowly.Some don't.Had I given him the full dose it could have caused kidney failure.Edit: I also had to help him eat and drink because he couldn't see either.It took a week for the medication to leave his system.

Last edited:
Following along. How do you dose this in a very small bird, under one pound? Thank you.
I'm not good at math so I had to get someone else do it for me sorry! They placed a teeny tiny bit in equal portions on 20 pieces of aluminum foil squares(folded up and placed back in the little pkg it came in).I just add it to 1/2 gallon of drinking water whenever I need it.

Back
Top Bottom