1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where can i buy some blue hen of delaware chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ninjascrub69, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I've been searching the internet for hours and cant find any actual blue hen of delaware chickens for sale, only merchandise for the school that has the blue hen of delaware as their mascot. Can someone please help?

2. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    I fell in love with them too. But from what I understand they're nearly impossible to get ahold of. There are so few breeding birds. But if you manage to find someone who has some that are true to the breed I'd love to know!!

I'm going to have to watch this post! Good luck. [​IMG]

3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:If i find some i'll be sure to pm u

4. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Quote:If i find some i'll be sure to pm u

I'll search some more too. And if I find any I'll let you know! They just look like such beautiful birds.

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I used to have them. Most of the people who have them live in DE. Bec on here has them, and there are a few other BYC'ers who have them. Give Bec a PM. [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have some of Bec's DBH, (Delaware Blue Hens) and, not being a recognized APA breed, they are very hard to find. I drove 26 hours in 2 days to get the little stinkers home! [​IMG]

I have only 7 hens right now, having lost my DBH roo in spring. BUT.... I am negotiating to get one of my rehomed roosters back. I'm not sure what Bec's status is at the moment, but I PMed her a link to this thread and left a voicemail for her.

They are small to mid-size, and are capable of better flight than most chickens. Mine sail out of the woods at about 8 feet high! The hens are all very sweet and good natured. A few of the roos need careful tending because they are very protective of their flocks, but overall quite well behaved. Eggs are usually about medium size, white or off white. Very nice!

For more info, check here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/delaware_blue_hen/524

I love my DBH, have never regretted tracking them down. [​IMG]

7. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Well, I am not sure what my status is at this point [​IMG] I had to part with my only roo due to him being a mean bugger and after 2 years of my kids not being able to go out without being armed for battle, he had to go to a friends house. I'm unsure what I am going to from here on, I have my hands full with some other things but I can certainly help anyone who is looking for some Blue Hens!

You should definitely do some reading up and research, although it is hard to find anything on the actual bird. If you have any questions Ranchie or myself can answer any questions you may have.

8. SallyE

SallyE New Egg

Jul 28, 2012
    I saw them today for the first time at the Delaware State Fair. My husband and I are both from Delaware, graduated from the U.of D. and never knew these birds existed. I thought they were extinct or out of a story. Anyway, contact the U. of D. School of Agriculture. I read that they have a flock.

9. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I used to have a flock of them years ago (2003-2006). They were given to me and were very good layers. They were beautiful birds.

10. cudas1960

cudas1960 New Egg

Apr 9, 2013
    I am looking for some blue hen chicks or eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by