where can I buy the suggested meds from lab findings ? Escherichia coli,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Jan 9, 2017.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Hate to do med.. but I think they have lost their egg producing abilities. combs turning pink and shrinking
    Escherichia coli,final report says

Hubby gave two so far Oegano oil today 6 drops of diluted in good olive oil

now acc to this lab report listed 18 dif meds and susectibility
    in the culture

sulphadimethoxine is <=256.0000 Suspectible

Tiamulin is <32.0000 "
    Timicosin is 64 "

so what does it mean if the above Timicosin has no "<" in front of the number? or no equal "=" sign in front of the number?
    the link someone asked before as of Januarey 1 not available for sale in the gallon sized>> Because of the new LAWS
    My" Chicken Health book" said it destroys or affects the oviducts..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1147762/escherichia-coli-occ-mite-occ-capillaria-occ-findings

so in another post someone mentioned" acidied Copper sulfate" the good kind,which I have.. from someone prev mentioning

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-for-common-conditions-of-chickens-by-owners

Like I keep asking Nature why she is so hard on my innocent chickens?
    If I could also get them to eat the vitamin E and B in another members remedy...
    thanks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    are sulpha antibiotics for animals not available any more? I think that's your best bet for e. Coli.

3. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    New restrictions on antibiotics went into effect on January 1st. To get antibiotics you have to go to a veterinarian.

4. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    that vet is not interested in treating my group. I only used his name cause the RESULTS had to be sent to a VET.

Like so many of us out there are finding

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

Are you sure that these birds are sick and not just having a normal seasonal break from egg laying? If they are over a year old and this is their second winter then it is not unusual for them to stop laying whilst they moult and then recover. I have in excess of 35 hens and pullets and I was down to 1 egg a day 6 weeks ago. Thankfully things are starting to pick up now as some of the older girls come back into lay and some of my pullets from last summer have started. It is normal for their combs to go pale and shrivelled during this winter down time.

I think it may be normal for chickens to have a certain level of both good and bad bacteria in their gut, but it is only when things get out of balance that they get sick. I don't know what the threshold is for E coli but I would have thought the lab would be able to advise you on that. If they are not acting sick but just not laying then I would hold off treatment until they show signs of illness or start laying.

Regards

Barbara

6. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    this has been going on for ages esp the dominant hen....It has spread to almost all of the girls....I think its all out of balance...their systems
    Now the wild birds are stealing their food again...
    These test were done at the state vet school
    says +4 for "growth amount" Got final results in mail today.... too. It list the specfic strain I dont like the sound of it...
    sev at least have those tiny mites plus report said Capillaria also. so they have 3 strikes...
    it is never ending they prob have one of the cleanest newest coops, free range and loved... still Nature makes them suffer

7. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    What has been going on for ages?
    I find it very hard to follow your posts but it seems to me from reading a few of them, that you are treating your flock with medication for anything and everything at the least sign of a problem. Chickens will have worms and occasionally lice and mites and there will be some bad bacteria in their gut as well as good bacteria. It's about accepting that they are not sterile creatures living in a sterile environment, so a low level of parasites is to be expected. I think it is great that you have sent samples off for analysis but interpreting the results from them correctly and not panicking is more important. Can you post the actual results rather than just odd extracts from them.... Levels of e coli and capillaria etc . Perhaps if you take a photo of the lab report and post the photo someone will be able to interpret it and give you more specific help.
    Pumping chemicals into and onto your chickens if they don't need them will weaken their immune systems and leave them vulnerable to more problems....for example, antibiotics will upset the good bacteria in the gut and can lead to digestive tract problems, so should only be used if chickens are really sick and actually need them.

8. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Thats unfair I dont give such for every little thing !!!!! But what am I supp to do let the beautiful creatures suffer?
    Vets around here dont treat poultry.... I am at my wits end trying to get them healthy.
    already had one die of liver hemorrage...
    They are def losing weight..... Mites prob wont let them get a good night sleep....
    I am tired of people commenting w/o knowing that this watery all a over the poop trays and floor and walls POO have been going on off and on for a long time....
    Their poo.... you can hear them poo.....
    So please dont comment if you cant help> I avoid antiobitics myself I hate all toxic pharmeuticals period.
    I walk around their large areas picking up poo like 3 times a day.....
    appreciate chiming in but dont jump to conclusions
    If I could have the POULTRY fairy take them back to their chick stage and put them back into the places I bought them I would. Then I would have a real life...
    thank you

9. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I'm sorry. I was trying to help but I read through your posts and only feel like I am getting part of the information that is needed to understand your situation and if I feel like that, perhaps others feel like that too, which limits the amount of constructive help that can be offered.
    I understand getting overwhelmed by things ( I suffer from stress and depression) but I also know from my own experience that often when I get overwhelmed, I get things out of perspective and everything seems difficult and unmanageable. Sometimes I have to just sit back and do nothing for a while and realise that nothing really bad happens when I take a step back from it and just let things be. Some chickens do die unfortunately. We all make mistakes in our chicken management especially in the early stages and of course, chickens are more prone to contracting diseases because of being kept in flocks in confined pens and coops. But if we let them free range, they are of course at risk from predators, so you have to weigh the benefits against the risks and make the best decision for your situation. There are no right and wrong answers and I'm sure you are doing the best for your flock that you can. I did not mean to suggest otherwise, in fact more the opposite, that you seem to be trying too hard.

It is very sad that you are feeling so regretful about your poultry keeping at the moment and that it sounds like more of a chore than a pleasure. I hope that changes for you soon.

Best wishes

Barbara

10. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Maybe you could just start at the beginning and give us an overview of what's going on? I too feel like we have incomplete information. How old are your birds? How many do you have? What symptoms do they have that prompted the lab test? Is this lab test a fecal sample or something else? We need the whole picture to really help... I'm sure you only want the best for your flock so we'd love to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by