1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where can I buy wheat bran for mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Oct 6, 2009.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I had bought 100 mealworms and now I have beetles. I desperately badly need to separate the beetles from the mealworms, but I've got to get them some substrate.

For the mealworms, I put them in one of those plastic shoebox things with a jar of wheat germ, but it's way too expensive at over $4 a jar.

I read about wheat bran, but I can't find it anywhere. I've looked with the oatmeal, with the regular cereals and also with the flour and cornmeal and just can't find it around here in NE Alabama where I am.

Can I get cheap bran flakes and grind them up in the food processor or maybe mix that with oatmeal or baby oatmeal cereal or something?

Oh, and at a couple of stores I did see Oat Bran next to the Cream of Wheat, but it's pretty expensive too. Can the Oat Bran or the Cream of Wheat be used even though it's too expensive?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    have you looked in the bulk bins? I usually get mine from the big bins at the natural section. It's still cheaper than whatever jar you've been getting. I think I pay around $.50 a lb.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    All feed stores carry it..I mean feed stores not TSC! It's a quite common feed I know for our horses and also buy it for our chickens.Here a #50 is about $8.00

4. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    You can also use corn meal and or oatmeal or corn flakes all mix up , thats what I use to raise mealworms when I had my reptile shop back in the early 90's.

Alan

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    We always raised ours on oatmeal...nothing cheaper! [​IMG]

Shelly

6. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:Do you grind up the oatmeal and corn flakes like in the food processor? That would be WAY cheaper than the wheat germ!

7. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:So feed stores carry wheat bran? Hmm....LOL shows what I know!

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Do you grind up the oatmeal and corn flakes like in the food processor? That would be WAY cheaper than the wheat germ!

We never ground the oatmeal. Not sure about the corn flakes since they are harder. Maybe just crush them up?

Shelly

9. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    I never ground them up I just hand crush them corn flakes that is oatmeal just as you buy them corn meal the same hand mix place in a tub -jar or what ever there will do just fine if you place then in a dark spot they will not turn into beetles as fast, also place a wet /damp paper towel over the mix from time to time ,this way they will have some moister.

alan

10. jaylyne8

jaylyne8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    I have about a hundred in a purina layena crumble feed and oatmeal... should I be worried that I find a couple of mealworms skins on the top eventhough I put potatoes and cantalopes on the top?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by