where can i find a couple goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenman44, May 25, 2008.

1. chickenman44

chickenman44 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Hi, i'm from Rhode Island. I was just wondering if anybody else on here has or knows somebody who has a couple goats for sale in or around RI. I need a couple lawnmowers/fertilizers. lol

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I understand! My DH doesn't think our two goats are "mowing" enough grass and would like to get more! [​IMG]

I would try your local farm supply stores and see if they know of anyone who would be selling some goats there locally. You could also try the craigslist. I see goats along with chicks listed on our local craigslist all of the time.

Good luck to you! You will fall in love with them once you do find some. They are wonderful pets!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    goats are awesome pets!...mine stay by our side all day in the yard..never wander or run away like our dogs....they arent to great for keeping the lawn mowed though..but are great for clearing out your weeds, brambles, poision ivy..etc..good luck finding one!..are you by new york by any chance?..the lady i got my goat from just e-mailed me saying she has babies!..;o)..Wendy

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Goats don't eat grass as much as people think. They eat weeds, honeysuckle, brush, bark and so on. They aren't grazers like cows or sheep, they're "browsers" like deer.

(I don't have goats yet but I will in a couple of weeks. I've read enough today about goats that I can probably write a book. LOL)

Oh here's a quote from fiascofarms.com. That site is a must for anyone wanting goats or has goats.
    Although the goat's digestive system is similar to that of other ruminants, such as cattle and sheep, who are "grazers" and eat grass, goats are more related to deer, who are "browsers". As browsers, goats are designed to eat, and prefer, brush and trees more than grass. It is natural for them to nibble a little here, and nibble a little there. Though goats will eat grass, if you are considering getting goats to be lawnmowers, you are going to be sorely disappointed, because they will eat your trees and roses before they will work on the lawn. They really like bark and will strip the bark off trees. (especially pines, cedars and maples, to name a few). Goats could be used to help reclaim grasslands that have been overgrown with brush. Our land was overrun with brambles, wild roses, honeysuckle and 100s of small pine tree when we moved here; these are all gone now.​

Last edited: May 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by