Where can I find a small number of day old chicks to order?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1keegan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. 1keegan

1keegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    We're incubating some RLBW eggs, and think we only have 6 or 7 viable.
    We'd like to improve our odds of ending up with 6-8 hens, so we thought perhaps we could buy a few day old pullets.
    I've looked at Ideal, Mt Healthy and McMurray, but we'd have to order 10, 15 or 25.
    We live in WI, so realize the cold weather could affect shipping a small number.
    Any ideas?
    thanks-

2. chefgian

chefgian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Stow, OH.
    Mypetchicken.com sells as few as three, but shipping is rather expensive.

3. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    I just ordered 7 Cochin Pulets from Ideal. Maybe the breed your looking at is just requiring a higher number?

4. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    You could always check craigslist in your area

5. jonespoulltryfarm

jonespoulltryfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    Kentucky
    i hatch alot of chicks and will ship as few as 6

6. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    I just ordered from Meyers. Reasonable shipping, and got all the breeds I was looking for (except black stars, but I got some barred rocks instead). I only got 8...I think the number you have to get is decided by your shipping zip code.

7. FarminTheBurbs

FarminTheBurbs New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    SF Peninsula, CA
    I just ordered 6 from MyPetChicken. It's my understanding that they actually get their chicks from Meyer. They will ship as few as 3, but the shipping is a bit expensive (I live in CA though). They have a lot of variety, but I cannot speak for quality, etc. as I don't have my chicks yet! [​IMG]

8. J&JCossey

J&JCossey Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2011
    SF Bay Area, CA
    We did too, My Pet Chicken has pricy shipping but worth it if you want a variety and only a few day old chicks the same age! Our chicks ship Feb 21st (their first ship date of the year) so if you are wanting them sooner maybe look locally. I have found a lot of local breeders through a facebook page of backyard chicken owners in our area...maybe there is a FB page for your area? Good luck!

9. lolita117

lolita117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    I would check out Meyer Hatchery, I order my chicks there is time. I did order 34 but the website said a minimum of 3 so and they have a big variety and I don't think the shipping will be too expensive. I would check them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by