Where can I find an 8 month old female Muscovy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Judy1610, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Judy1610

Judy1610 Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    Beaver County, PA
    We had 2male and 2 female Muscovy ducks purchased as chicks in March of this year. Sadly we lost a female because she was egg bound and the vet said we waited too long for him to help her. We live in Beaver County Pa. We reached out to the vet and they are keeping an eye out for us. The remaining female is over bred by the 2 males. I separate the males at night and they free range during the day. We were advised to get rid of one male, but I hate to do this as I have taken care of them exclusively since we got them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

You might want to get more than one more female if you're planning to keep both drakes. When I got my first straight run Muscovies, there were 7 ducks and 3 drakes. 3 of the ducks were taken by predators before I started clipping wings so they'd go into the coop at night, so I culled 2 of the 3 drakes to prevent over breeding. One drake to four ducks was about right.

As far as where to acquire them, have you checked local chicken swaps in your area? Craigslist might be another way for you to find some. If you can't find Muscovies, what about getting ducks of another breed? If they mate with your drakes, their offspring will be sterile, but at least the drakes could spread their attention around.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by