where can i find buff orpingtons?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jpruett86, Apr 14, 2011.

1. jpruett86

jpruett86 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Borger Tx
    Just out of curiosity. I'm probably getting sex links from the feed store but I would love orpingtons. Everywhere online I've found don't have females available. Anyone know of a place that does? I live in the Texas panhandle.

2. TexasAggieOfc

TexasAggieOfc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    Does Ideal Poultry (http://www.ideal-poultry.com) not have any? They may be back ordered but I bet they have some! Plus no extra freight charge for most TX zip codes

3. TexasAggieOfc

Dec 4, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
  4. jpruett86

Apr 14, 2011
    Borger Tx
    Looks like their minimum is 25 dollars and since I'm only getting 2 or 3 chickens that's not going to work. My husband my shoot me if he came home and I had 8 chicks or so lol!! But thanks for checking [​IMG]

5. TexasAggieOfc

Dec 4, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    I know some folks here have had a lot of luck with mypetchicken.com as they specialize in the small orders... I've never used them, but check them out...

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Have you checked all the feed stores in your area? I know my local feed store carries them.

7. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    We got ours from Meyers Hatchery and they are wonderful birds!

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    There are a couple of things you can do (probably more) besides ordering them. Since Buff Orps are pretty common, I would first call your local feed stores that carry chicks to see if they have any coming in. If they don't, check your local craigslist.org listing (see the farm and garden section) for BO chicks. If you don't see any, you can place a free wanted ad. Good luck!

9. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I know that the chick lady at my feed store has a list of everything she is getting in through June.

10. jpruett86

Apr 14, 2011
    Borger Tx
    I called all the local feed stores and none had or were getting in orpingtons. I also checked Craigslist and posted about a week ago and nothing. So I went ahead and got a black star and a columbian wyandotte. I'll just order orpingtons later when I decide to expand my flock lol.

Thanks for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by