Where can I find chick grit? or what can I use in place of it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantam88, Jul 25, 2010.

1. bantam88

bantam88 New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    I have week old chicks and have been feeding them small treats like pieces of boiled egg and such and just found out that I shouldn't be doing that unless they also have grit in their brooder to eat. I found posts on here describing a red "anise flavored" chick grit that is sold at TSC but my local TSC does not carry it or any other type of chick grit. I checked the other stores around here but they don't have anything like chick grit either. So then I started looking at parakeet and pigeon grit, but so far all the parakeet/pigeon grit I've found contains calcium or oyster shells which I've read should not be given to chicks. I have some all purpose sand available that I was thinking of using but I've read that it does not replace grit and will often cause crop problems...so I'm out of ideas!

What do the rest of you use for grit for your chicks and where do you buy it from?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Baby chick grit from TSC is what I use - I asked them to order it for me when there was none. Then, they ordered a bunch of it, and it is automatically re-ordered every week so I know they always have it

3. bantam88

bantam88 New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    Quote:Do you know what the brand name/manufacturer is for it? I'll try calling and asking if they can order it in for me.

something I forgot: I'm feeding them chick starter which i've read already serves as a type of grit. I found a few other places that say the opposite though, so i'm not really sure. is grit still necessary if they're eating the chick starter crumble?

4. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

I just pick up sand from the ground and sprinkle it in their food.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I think Manna Pro is the name - if you feed them anything other than chick starter, then yes, you would need grit

6. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

You can also use parakeet grit at walmart...it's pretty cheap and it works...I got mine at Wal Mart [​IMG]

7. Mizzy

Mizzy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Ooltewah
    I use the parakeet grit from Walmart too [​IMG] they have no problem with it! (and it was only $1 something for a box that's lasted forever!)

8. bantam88

bantam88 New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    I stopped by WalMart this evening and found "Hartz Gravel 'n Grit" in their pet section; it has a picture of a parakeet on the box but it says it's "for all pet birds."

I bought it just because it was so inexpensive but I'm still not sure whether to use it or not since it says it contains "calcium carbonate" on the back. But if others have used it and have had no problem with it, it can't be too bad right?

9. squiqwe

squiqwe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Cortland,Ohio
    I am using fine sand. I put a mound in their coop then I put their treats on it. like clover leaves etc. My girls are 5 weeks old.[​IMG]

10. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That is what i used I have 25 birds...no problems [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by