1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

where can i find chicken hatcheries in southern california?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joypeters, Apr 21, 2010.

1. joypeters

joypeters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    northridge, california
    i checked google and the closest i can find is FRESNO. not out of the question, it's only 3 hours away, but would love a place closer. i'm a new member, so i can't order 25 chicks at a time - it's just too overwhelming. i want to drive somewhere i can purchase 5 or 6. does anyone feel me on this? sorry if this is a totally newbie question, but i've tried to find places and just can't. thanks for your help! joy

1 person likes this.
  2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    what kind of chickens do you want? There are some of us that the hatching sickness and have extras I'm in Paso Robles not very close to you either...

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Check your private messages!! [​IMG]

4. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm in Encino. I bought my chicks from mypetchicken.com and then learned there are a lot of local places that sell chicks. The Red Barn in Tarzana by the busline has chicks...usually barred rocks, black sex link, red sex link and "aracaunas" which might actually be easter eggers. There's another hardware store in Sylmar that I think has barred rocks and rhode island reds and maybe some other breeds There's a feed store around the calabasas area that sells chicks. There's also a Malibu feed store that has chicks. There's a Chatsworth petstore/feedstore called "Kahoots," that carries chicks. There's also a Lancaster poultry farm that sells chicks...you can look for it on craigslist. Basically, try googling "feedstore" in this area....

Currently, I have 4 chickens (3 from mpc and one from Kahoots. Unfortunately, it's addictive and I'm looking at trying to get some really nice chickens. You might want to do a little research and consider getting some quality eggs or chicks from breeders....so they end up looking like the pix online. I'm incubating eggs for the first time. I'm setting 14 Black Copper Marans from Bev Davis's line. Depending how that ends up, I'm then going to try hatching some Ameraucanas. If I have too many chicks, I'm going to find local homes for them. My daughter's school is also hatching two batches but I don't know what breeds they have. They are going to be looking for homes locally.

Also, a FYI...a lot of the local feedstores sell "pine shavings," which aren't pine shavings but fir shavings and/or a mix that looks suspicious for cedar.

5. joypeters

Apr 19, 2010
    northridge, california
    newhen, thank you for your information. this is our first year, so we are just trying to find a few good chicks, nothing special or crazy. we want mostly family friendly chicks, who may or may not be good egg layers. we are mostly trying this out and would never dream of eating our feathered friends.

if you have extra chicks, let me know. we are in northridge, so VERY close. thanks, joy

6. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I was in the same situation as you-just starting out, and only wanted a few chicks, last year. What I discovered, after the fact, is that its very easy to sell pullets. If I had it to do over again, I'd order 25, and sell the ones I didn't want on Craigslist.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    PM sent from riverside. I have a lot available. Not TOO too far from you. [​IMG]

8. annmjensen

annmjensen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Southern Ca.
    I'm in Southern California and wanted about 3 or 4 chicks to add to my flock of 7... I am especially interested in Astalorps and California Grey. I have Buff Orpintons and Barred Rock from feed store stock, but the feed stores near me do not have what I am looking for now, so I thought I would try here - Anyone near me???

9. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow you must be going for a record of being here the longest with the fewest posts. Try the so. calif. thread here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/161/california-southern/1220#post_8789860 good luck :frow :old

10. joypeters

Apr 19, 2010
    northridge, california
    this year i bought three pullets (just newly laying) from Ham and Eggs ranch in Norco. they are beautiful, healthy and most of all i didn't have to raise them from chicks. some people like that. i don't. $25 each. it was great! joy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by