Where can I find Mandrin Ducklings/eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ForTheLoveofHEN, Nov 27, 2016.

1. ForTheLoveofHEN

ForTheLoveofHEN Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2016
    Lake Elsinore CA
    Dose anyone know where I can buy some mandrin ducklings or eggs? I am trying to find hatcheries online but I only see adults. I know this is not the best time of year but I would love to preorder a few even. I have always lover mandi es and I feel confident enough as a duck owner to care for a few now. Just need to find someone selling little ones or eggs.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you checked in on the Ornamental forum?

Or the Buy-Trade-Sell, or Where Am I Where Are You?

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Mandarins are better to get as juvenils or adults and then you can hatch your own babies from them. Mandarins have a very high stress level and can easily die from itand the younger they are the more likely this is to happen.

4. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Mandarins (and Wood ducks) lay few eggs that are very hard to hatch and raise artificially. Shipping eggs or ducklings also has a high mortality rate, meaning it would be cheaper for you to get juveniles or adults than to start with eggs or ducklings, even if you can find them.

Try watching Craiglist or similar "local" sites. Finding some locally will save you money and ensure a better experience for you and the birds. I only see Mandarins advertised on CL once or twice a year, but when they show up, they are at a reasonable price. That is definitely how I would try to get started with them.

5. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
  6. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    Having raised woodies, mandarins and many other exotic ducks for many years, I aree with dheltzel. They are very limited in eggs produced compared to domestic breeds. Babies are also quite fragile and a challenge to hand raise. These are a couple of the reasons most breeders do not offer hatching eggs or babies. I recommend purchasing a nice breeding pair and learning first hand from them. Then as you gain experience and knowledge you can try to artificially incubate some of their eggs and try hand raising babies. Allow mom to raise the rest of her eggs/brood this way you will have babies to watch and experience and learn, even if the hand raising doesn't work out.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your ducks.

7. ForTheLoveofHEN

ForTheLoveofHEN Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2016
    Lake Elsinore CA
    Thank you everyone! I think i found a pair of adults so i will be picking them up as a Christmas gift for my self. I have 5 types of duck but they are all demestic so im excited to find get a pair of ornamental ducks and mandrin ducks habe always been facinating to me.

8. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    Congratultions! [​IMG]A Christmas gift that keeps on giving. [​IMG] Mandarins are one of our favorite ornamental ducks. Absolutely beautiful, calm & a lovely courtship display. I am sure you will quite pleased with them. Good luck and enjoy your ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by