Where can I find silkie chicks by mail order?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by oconnorfamily25, Jul 19, 2010.

1. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I have seen silkie chickens online and want some terribly. We have 4 rhode island reds and want to expand our flock a bit, so I started looking into other breeds and found the silkie bantams. All of the mail orders I've found are uber-expensive. Help me![​IMG]

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Bobbi Porto (IndigoEgg on here) has them all the time and ships. Her birds are excellent quality and her prices are great! Send her a PM. She may have to wait to ship as it is pretty hot in FL. If you are up North she might ship now. [​IMG]

3. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I had a batch of about 15 come out of the shell on sunday. I have another batch due this following week and could ship that monday too. Mainly blacks, few buffs, 1 splash, and 2 whites from yesterday. If you did Paypal payment I could have them out by tomorrow afternoon. I am NPIP and have a hatchery permit. It was only in the 70's here today for temps and not supposed to get much warmer tomorrow. Chicks are $5 each. Shipping is the killer.... with express mail, live surcharge, and a new Horizon box it comes to about $60-65.

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well these aren't from a breeder, but cackle hatchery sells silkins. I have buff, white, and black ones from them and was very happy with my birds. Not sure the price but I can't imagine it will cost too much.

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Amy's offer sounds real good. [​IMG] Hers are to die for. I would go for it. [​IMG]

6. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I was just about to tell you to email Amy Piehl to see if she has silkies available! Trust me oconnorfamily25, they are worth it! I have 21 blacks blues and splashes and they are wonderful! They ALL arrived happy and healthy too even in this heat! Highly recommend Amy Piehl!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  7. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    This would be one of my last batches available for the year too. I have 2 more sets of eggs (~60 total) left in the incubator and that's it. Incubator is getting shut off til december then. I have enough babies in the growout pens for myself. I'm starting to pull some out fo those too and sell the ones not quite good enough for my show string this fall. On the older birds (3-8 months) there are 2 white cockerels, 2 white pullets, 1 black pullet, 1 buff cockerel, and 3 really young splash that I'm not sure of yet. Different minor faults on each and price will vary depending on the bird.

8. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Let me know if you have anything you want to sell in Spring and Winter. Once the chicks grow up, I will see what I need and want then.

9. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I just took a count... there are 12 black/dark blues, 4 buff, 2 white, and 1 splash. One of the buff is scooting around on his butt like he hasn't figured out where his legs are yet. Not sure if he will make it or not. I didn't check them over for any faults on feet either yet.

10. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Quote:Will do! I have 20+ in the 4-8 month range, 40+ youngsters in the 1-3 month old pen and about 30 more youngers ones still in the garage. I'll be keeping about 10 of each of the top splash and whites to replenish my breeder pens. I only have saved back 2 buff that have met my standards so far. Blacks will be saved back only if they are better than what I already have. Should be plenty of birds for sale this fall.

I'm also getting to the point that I either have to sell some of these later chicks or will be bringing them back in the house by mid-september. Temps are already freezing by then and I can't have 2 month olds out there. I'll wait til after Christmas to have the house overflowing with birds again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by