1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where can I find small leg bands?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MomMommyMamma, May 5, 2011.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I've been trying to find leg bands small enough for new chicks. I'm going this size chart . Does anyone know where I can get size 4 & 6 leg bandettes? I would like the numbered bandettes. I'm wanting to track breeder & sex in the chicks.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Would you be totally against using zip ties instead of leg bands? [​IMG]

They come in all sizes and colors at Lowe's. I purchased a pack of 200 for $4.84 at Lowe's and I use them on all of my birds.

Just a thought.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I get the spiral plastic colored leg bands from Cutler Supply. You might call them and talk to them about their metal bands. I'm not sure if they come numbered or if you need a punch for that.

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

I don't know how many you are talking about, but as long as the numbers are not huge, you can use a color coding system pretty well to cover a lot of different divisions. You have two different legs to work with and can put a few bands on each leg.

Say you go with two colors, yellow and blue. You can leave the left leg bare and on the right put:

bare
    one yellow
    one blue
    one yellow and one blue
    two yellows
    two blues
    one yellow, one blue, and one yellow
    one blue , one yellow, and one blue.
    two yellows side by side and one blue
    two blues side by side and one yellow

Then do all this with the left leg one yellow. Then do all this with the left leg one blue. And so on.

Add a third color and you can see how the possible combinations grow tremendously.

I'm not going to argue against zip ties either. They work great. I just happen to use the spiral bands.

4. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  5. bene449

bene449 New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    You can get them very cheap on ebay or amazon in all different colours:)

6. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:I haven't been able to find tiny ones for chicks. I think I'll try the zip ties.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I haven't been able to find tiny ones for chicks. I think I'll try the zip ties.

Lowe's has the tiny ones and they are in different colors. They fit perfect on baby chicks. I have already tried it.

See pic below of zip ties from Lowe's.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by