Where can I get baby chickens online?

DiaperDuck

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2018
I have 1 baby chicken that is hatching soon but I heard they could die from isolation. So I want to get him a friend (like 3 or 4). So I was wonderinf if anyone knew a good website where I could get baby chickens.

There are a lot of hatcheries you can order chicks from. I order from chickens for backyards, they only require a minimum of 3 chicks but you will usually get an extra or two depending on quantity. I think they are a smaller version of cackle hatchery.

Meyer hatchery is a great hatchery that will let you order a minimum of 4 chicks, less than any other hatchery I know of. Also, if any of your chicks die in shipping, they will refund you or send you more chicks.

Depending on where you live there may be a hatchery near you. If you order online from Tractor supply, they ship from Hoover Hatchery in Iowa. I would look for a place closer to you b/c it would minimize the length of time the chicks spend being shipped. Meyer Hatchery is located in Ohio, and McMurray is located in Iowa. Cackle Hatchery is in Missouri. You may even have local breeder farms near you. Also, if you're looking for a certain kind of chicken that will also help decide where you would buy from.

I just got 10 pullets from Murray McMurray. They have good deals if you are not picky about the breed. “Layer Variety Pack”.

All arrived healthy and happy.
Depending on where you live there may be a hatchery near you. If you order online from Tractor supply, they ship from Hoover Hatchery in Iowa. I would look for a place closer to you b/c it would minimize the length of time the chicks spend being shipped. Meyer Hatchery is located in Ohio, and McMurray is located in Iowa. Cackle Hatchery is in Missouri. You may even have local breeder farms near you. Also, if you're looking for a certain kind of chicken that will also help decide where you would buy from.
I live in Florida

You should be fine ordering from anywhere on the east coast. I say this b/c I've ordered chicks before that came for Iowa (I'm in Ohio) and they were 'shipped' on Tuesday night and I didn't get them until Friday morning. Depending where you live in FL your chicks might spend a while traveling.
You could ask on the FL thread about where people there buy chicks. You might even find someone who's close enough to you who will sell you some chicks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/florida-always-sunny-side-up.305793/page-1881

I just caution ordering from very far away b/c I ordered some last year and all but 2 arrived dead or dying. It was Feb & very cold, but likewise, it's May now and those shipping containers aren't climate controlled.

Back
Top Bottom