Where can I get eggs for my broody buff to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Iflyonhorses, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Iflyonhorses

Iflyonhorses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Sterling, MA
    I have a very broody 1 yr.old Buff Orp. and I thought it would be fun to let her hatch some eggs. I have a little 5-hen flock and am wondering where I can get some fertile eggs that she can hatch. I saw a post last year of someone on this site who sells blue eggs. I love my EE hen who lays green ones. Anybody got any ideas?[​IMG]

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    go look under hatching eggs for sale in the auction section. some people have had luck hatching fertile eggs from trader joes. go look on the mass thread under where heading somebody close by might have some eggs [​IMG]

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Where can't you.... Auction threads here (bottom of the main index page), eBay, eggbid.net.... search the name of the sort of chicken you want and add 'hatching eggs' after it on google....

4. Iflyonhorses

Jul 1, 2009
    Sterling, MA
    Thanks! I was looking at the hatchery sites but they are very expensive and stop shipping in May.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    right now all kinds of folks have hatching eggs on craigslist I just picked up a dozen silkie eggs last night with possibly a show girl or 2

6. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I would recommend trying to get eggs that don't have to be shipped. I haven't had great luck with shipped eggs, and it just seems like an unnecessary risk to me. You can look on craigslist in your area. I have even had luck asking people who were selling chickens if they would gather hatching eggs for me. Some had never thought of selling those. Good luck!

7. Iflyonhorses

Jul 1, 2009
    Sterling, MA
    Thanks. Last year I found a few nice RIR pullets on Craigslist. I've never seen hatching eggs, but I'll try it. Good suggestion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by