1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where can I get Light Sussex's in the USA

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by Farmtruck, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Farmtruck

Farmtruck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Meridian, Idaho
    Does anybody know where i can buy light Sussex eggs or chicks in the US?????

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Are you willing to receive shipped eggs?

3. Spinning Carrie

Spinning Carrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2015
    Papa's Poultry out of Northern California has them in chick or egg form. I have my first order of chicks in with him but I wont receive them for a little while yet. Here is his webpage.

https://papaspoultry.com/collections/sussex

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    First decide which of the 4 families you want to go to.
    Greenfire Farms(Australian) too large to be shown in American Poultry Association shows. Get DQ'd on penalty points of being oversize.
    2. American strains. Comprised of pure American strains and American/Greenfire cross strains. Based on size can compete and win in SPA shows.
    3. Pure English strains: Very few: can compete and win in APA shows. 2 families that I know of. One in KY and one ( used to be mine but now belonging to Farmer Karl ( Thompson?) in Blairsville, PA. Of English origin, coming to US thru Canada years ago. The pure English SQ Boese strain ( tightly line bred on 3x APA Grand Champion cock "Senior") was crossed 2 years ago with a hen descended directly from the Pure English SQ Ross flock from Canada.
    4. Canadian strains: available thru Waltz's Ark in Colorado and thru Farmer Karl in Blairsville, PA

Then check the BYC Sussex threads and Breeder's Directory of the Sussex club for who has what.
    http://www.americansussex.org/sussex-breeders.html
    Best,
    Karen
    If you decide on number 3 and want Farmer Karl's contact info, email me privately and I will send it to you.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  5. Farmtruck

Jun 24, 2012
    Meridian, Idaho
    Sure, eggs would be fine. I can hatch them myself.

6. Farmtruck

Jun 24, 2012
    Meridian, Idaho
    Thank you

7. monkeywoman1953

monkeywoman1953 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    Melbourne, Florida
    I bought some eggs from that farm in Kentucky - ZERO hatch rate !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by